1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sata drive performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonij1960, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonij1960

tonij1960 Thread Starter

I recently ran sisoft sandra on my pc and on an old netvista I just bought cheap.My computer I use most of the time is a Compaq d510c p4 2.0 ghz with 1 gb ram agp 256mb 8x and a promise 150 pci sata card,with a 250gb western digital sataii enterprise hard drive.And a 300 gb parallel ata drive for extra storage.Sisoft Sandra reported the buffered write speed and unbuffered write speeds around 22 mb/s.

On the Netvista with a simple little 80gb western digital hd it reports 70mb/s write speeds,about,for both buffered and unbuffered writes.And a 7 ms access time how weird is that the wd sata shows 9 ms.

Anyway what I need to know is why the write speed on the sata drive is so slow.The ata drive in the same computer seems to write at the same speed when I write a 10 gb file.It is connected to the ata port on the sata pci card though.I may try to hook the ata up to the motherboard ide controller and see if I can see a difference.But does anyone have any idea is it the drive the sata pci card or the computer that makes so much difference? Is that little 80 gb pata drive just a freak and I should hold onto it :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The idea that sata is somehow faster than ide is incorrect. While the theoretical speed of sata is higher, in reality neither drive even comes close to the theoretical speed. I have benched a sata drive against an ide drive and they come out very close; within 1~2mps. Note these are like drives; both WD 80gig drives with 8meg of cache. One sata and one ide using the same mb with all drivers loaded.

3. tonij1960

tonij1960 Thread Starter

In this case though its 22 mb/s vs 70 mb/s thats more than 3 x.I really want to know is it the drive itself (not so likely as the ata drive in the same pc is about the same at around 22 mb/s),the sata pci card ( I should get a better one? ) or the difference is the pc itself and Im already considering moving everything over to the netvista from the compaq d510 it would be one more reason.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely the card. Is it a quality brand like promise, highpoint, etc or one of the low end pci/raid controllers?

5. tonij1960

tonij1960 Thread Starter

Duh sorry its a maxtor promise 150

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice