sata drive power connector installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr.Welder

I'm building a pc and this is my first attempt at installing sata drives.I have two western digital raptor drives and they came with a cable that covers and connects most of the back of the sata drive similar to a ide cable and connects the drives directly to the motherboard.

On the back of the sata drives is a connection for a molex connector as well.A friend told me not to plug in the molex connector because I could destroy the drives because the drives recieve their power directly from the mobo using that cable that otherwise would be a data cable if it were ide.

So my question is ..Is that sata cable a data cable or a combination power and data cable?
It will be sometime before I fire it up but I want to be sure of where the power is coming from before I hook it up. thanks

mobo Msi k8t neo

SATA drives get their power from the power supply. Many have both the traditional molex 4 pin power connector and the newer SATA type, which most newer PS have. You can use either, but not both. It is necessary to use at least one of them. :)

Edit: and of course there is the SATA data cable that goes to the MB.

ya alot of sata drives still have the 4pin while people are still changing over to newer powers supplys that have new sata power plugs. Use wat your system has if you have a sata power plug coming out of power supply id use them less wire mess.

The nice thing about the PC standard if that if you can plug it then it should work. If the plug can be reversed then it shouldn't matter which way it is connected. It is extremely rare to wrong-plug a modern PC equipment today.

Mr.Welder

thanks everyone for the input because I was somewhat confused on this issue.The power supply is new and has both sata and molex connectors and drives have molex pins.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online