1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA drive to IDE via adapter - HDD not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SueMB, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueMB

SueMB Thread Starter

Hi all

I've searched for the answer to this query, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Apologies if this is a duplication and I've missed it.

The HDD died in a spare PC a while ago and when I finally got round to buying a replacement I unfortunately bought a SATA one instead of an IDE. In an attempt to prevent more money wastage, I decided to try an adapter to try and get the new HDD working.

I've connected it all up, but when I try and install an OS the HDD is not recognised. Can some kind soul please talk me through any possible solutions or have I just cocked up (again :eek: ) and wasted my money.

Thanks in advance
    Sue

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP does not natively support much new hardware, including SATA drives.

If you have an adapter, then none of the BIOS tips in what follows apply to you. You need the driver.

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice