1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata Drive Undetected By Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m3guitar, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m3guitar

m3guitar Thread Starter

I had a power failure and after the event my XP pc wouldn't boot. The bios loads but message reads "no bios installed" and "No drive for Fasttrack file". I used the Maxtor utility and it can't detect the drive either. I thought Sata was the way to go but now I'm not sure. Please help if you have any suggestions. I think the drive got fried but I sure hope not. Thanks, m3guitar :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you need to determine if the drive or the MB controller took the hit, it appears that one of them didn't survive the power adventure. Have you tried plugging the SATA drive into the other MB SATA port? Does the drive spin up when you apply power?

3. m3guitar

m3guitar Thread Starter

I haven't tried that yet. I tried it in the Promise MB controller but it said there was no drive installed. I took the drive out and held it and it barely vibrated and made one small disk accessing sound (grind) and that was it. I have ordered a new HD and will get it Tuesday. I sure hope it isn't the MB, that is an expensive item. I have had power failures before but WinXP just uses the last good configuration and is ok. This time nothing is ok. That's for replying, m3guitar :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/348697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice