1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kengambrill, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kengambrill

kengambrill Thread Starter

I am re-installing Windows XP on system with a new SATA HDD. I know that Windows XP does not support SATA, direct from the CD. I know that I can install the drivers by pressing f6. What I don't know is where to get the drivers. Manufacturer's web sites send me round in circles and spit me out. Web searches offer to download programs that will update my own systems drivers. But nobody seems able to give/sell me the drivers for any specific SATA drive. I'm looking for drivers for a Western Digital WDC WD1600BEVT-60ZCT1. It should be simple! Any ideas?

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Does the hard drive show in BIOS and have you tried just going for it as XP sometimes runs fine without having to install extra drivers during setup.

Jenny

3. kengambrill

kengambrill Thread Starter

The drive is recognised in BIOS. Windows XP says it can't find any mass storage device (HDD). I can see it using a LINUX boot USB. All I need is the Windows XP driver.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I had the same problem and solved it by getting SATA drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's site. Mine happens to be Gigabyte. Try the site for your board.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!