1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA drives won't pass POST on NForce2 board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moparmaniac, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moparmaniac

moparmaniac Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me with an Issue I'm having.

Have a PC with an EPOX EP-8RDA6+PRO NF2 board with 2 Nvida Sata / 4 Silicon Image Raid Sata ports.

Has an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 1.5GB of Memory, and AGP ATI All-In-Wonder 9600xt.

I am trying to convert it to a Server for our home network by installing 2 Seagate 1TB hard drives.

Primary drive is a 160GB Seagate IDE drive and also there is a IDE DVD+RW drive installed.

Whenever I try to start the machine from being powered down, it goes through post, identifies the IDE drives, then sits there and then Identifies the SATA drives (which I have on the 2 NVIDIA SATA ports).

After that, it just hangs and does nothing.

Now if I push the restart button on the case, it will go through just like it should and start up.

It seems like it's almost taking too long for the SATA drives to spin up and it's causing it to hang up the POST.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions to this?

I did only have a 300 watt power supply in there and thought maybe it was too weak for all those drives and devices so I swapped in a 420 watt and it is still doing the same thing.

While it's intended as a server, I don't want it on 24X7, so I have it set so it will Wake on LAN, but it won't work when I can't get past POST. So right now I'm stuck.

Anyone seen an issue like this before?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Since the MB is a few years old, it probably has a SATA v1 controller and it's not recognizing the new SATA v2 HDDs you've installed.

Check with Seagate to find out if there's a way to resolve it. Some HDDs have a jumper to set it to the older SATA v1 throughput. Others require a software application to configure it to work with older SATA v1 controllers.

3. moparmaniac

moparmaniac Thread Starter

You are correct...it does only support SATA 1 and by default Seagate's Jumpers are set to 1.5GB which were not changed.

It's just strange that it can't pass the POST screen on a cold start, but when you reboot, all drives are at full speed, then it loads up just fine.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That line of epox boards was very hard hit by bad caps. Open the case and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any leaking/discolored/bulging capacitors. If you find any [which I think you will] you have found your problem.

FWIW I have three of the 8rd series boards sitting here in my parts closet [all with bad caps]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice