Sata drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RLJ1959

Can anyone tell me if there is a performance difference between 1st generation and 2nd generation sata drives?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect that's going to depend on the specific drive in question. Although SATA-II has a faster interface speed, until the drives are fast enough to make that meaningful, transfer speeds won't change much. IMO, the biggest difference in new SATA drives is NCQ (Native Command Queuing), which optimizes the access to the disk when multiple requests are pending. This won't make any difference with a single thread mass file transfer, but with multiple tasks hitting the disk, it will optimize the speed of access for all tasks.

RLJ1959

The reason I asked, probably 7 times out of 10, my computer locks up during the post so I contacted MSI and they said my board dose not support 2nd generation drives. Then I went to Western Digital to check jumper settings, I can revert these Raptors back to 150mbps and I was wondering what kind of performance I would loose.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online