1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA DVD/CD optical drive will not open to remove a bootable disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbuergel, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I have a SATA DVD/CD optical drive that will not open to remove a boot capable disk, (CD or DVD, such as a XP or Vista O/S disk or a partition tool), when re-booting from that disk so that it is before loading any operating system. Once booted into a O/S then it opens fine to remove a CD or DVD disk. This is a Intel Core 2 Dual ASUS motherboard 1 year old desktop type computer which has both the hard drive and optical drives as SATA. So will this issue be resolved if I add in a 2nd optical drive which is standard PATA IDE type connection ?

2. Hughv

Hughv

It won't open because it has the operating system you're using.
    Why do you want to remove it at this point?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It really depends on the disk, but some lock the drive for obvious reasons, including that mentioned by Hughv. It does that for a good reason. A new drive will make no difference.

4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I was using the Linux GParted partition tool, ( the safe and stable version ), to shrink some of my NTFS partitions, and move some others to prepare for multi-boot with some Linux. And also I was doing a XP Pro repair re-install attempt which failed to complete, so then I just did a full clean re-install of my XP, and fixed the Vista boot manager for the dual boot. But any disk such as a live Linux CD or that GParted tool, when I am done with it, and then do a reboot from it, and do not want that CD or DVD still in there, that's when it will not open with the optical drive button, so I did use a paper clip to poke into that small hole to open, which only barely worked.

5. Hughv

Hughv

You're making this too difficult.
    Reboot, change the boot order, remove the CD.It does no harm to leave it in the drive.

6. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    My boot device order is this; CD/DVD, Removable, then hard drive. What my issue refers to is early during the boot POST process just after it checks the CD/DVD drive, ( the light does come on), I want to be able to remove a boot capable disk before it re-boots to it again. I do believe this optical drive issue is SATA related, since this does not occur with my Gateway desktop computer which has no SATA internal drives, they are the IDE PATA. type. One good example is when I just did a startup repair with the Vista DVD, and I re-boot from it, and then stop at the Windows Boot Manager screen, then attempt to remove that disk, and it will not allow by the optical drive button to do that then, thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice