1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sata & EIDE setup Slave/master

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ScottBFD, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScottBFD

ScottBFD Thread Starter

I have a Intel motherboard that allows both sata and EIDE to be used. I have a western Digital WD400B-75DEAo EIDE hard drive. On my motherboard I have slots for 3 different sata drives in which is the only one i want to use (vista). When I plug my EIDE hard drive in no matter where I have the jumper set on the EIDE, it still comes up as master. I dont have another jumper for the SATA drive and Ill be willing to get get on if i need to but I was hoping you guys could let me know how to set this up so that the EIDE is the slave and my vista SATA drive is the master.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do your motherboard's BIOS settings have any kind boot order option to use SATA before EIDE? Do you need to enable use the particular SATA port on the motherboard?

3. ScottBFD

ScottBFD Thread Starter

What im doing is setting up the EIDE to scan because it has a nasty virus on it and the disks are lost. Yes my motherboard BIOS does have a boot order setup. I need my SATA drive to boot up first so I can use the tools on my sata drive to scan the slave (EIDE).

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are the actually options set to enable the given SATA port and is the boot order set to try to boot from the SATA disk first

Do you have a bootable operating system installed on the SATA drive>

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not just connect the drive via an enclosure? This would eliminate any problem with attempting to boot from the ide drive.

6. ScottBFD

ScottBFD Thread Starter

What i did was just used them both as drives. I set the sata first in the bootorder and now i have my malware bytes scanning the EIDE. I have an infection on the EIDE of some HDD recovery nonsense and if i had the disks for that computer (drive) I would have just reformatted, but I dont. When I was scanning the EIDE in its normal computer (dell) it wasnt finding anything and it would freeze so im hoping this works. So far malware bytes hasnt found anything.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice