Sata giving headaches!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EasY_TargeT

i have bought a new 80gb WD sata drive, and installing windows on it is not working well, i have follows my mobo manufacture (or how ever it is spelt), chaintech, on how to install XP on the drive, but everytime i load it it works, then the setp says, no hard drives have ben found, please pres F3 to restart.

did you install the the drivers that go through bios cause you gotta do that to make it work

EasY_TargeT

what do you mean, i setup Sata in my HDD and before it boots from CD a Sata list or something like that shows up and it lists my HDD but the XP setup does not detect it. i installed the drivers in xp and it still did not work, it says

Attachments

before it enters xp boot form cd drive and intall the harddrive onto the system

not xp

EasY_TargeT

ihave tried that too, which that didnt work, it cannot find the drive after it installs, i am using a Chaintech S1689 motherboard with ALi Sata raid, or something like that. if that helps at all.

oh I think I know what your problem is!!!! How many gb are you planning to install?

crjdriver

Post exactly how you are trying to install xp.

How are you loading the sata driver? Are you pressing F6 to load the driver when prompted by setup?

Windows will only look on a floppy for the mass storage driver.

Did your board come with a sata / raid driver on a floppy or does it have the drivers on a support cd?

EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT said:
i have bought a new 80gb WD sata drive, and installing windows on it is not working well, i have follows my mobo manufacture (or how ever it is spelt), chaintech, on how to install XP on the drive, but everytime i load it it works, then the setp says, no hard drives have ben found, please pres F3 to restart.
^^^^^^^^^
| | | | || | | | says in the first post, its 80gb

evidently on this mobo, you will need to load the sata driver as xp is loading. As cjdriver asked, are you pressing f6 to load any special drivers when windows asks you??? You need to load the ULI M5289 SATA Controller driver after pressing f6 when xp asks for the special drivers while it is going through the loading of necessary files.

On page 42 of your manual, it gives you pretty specific instructions, but you do need to get the driver onto a floppy from the cd-rom that came with your mobo.

EasY_TargeT

ive already got it :) running on it right now, now the last problem, getting the cpu temp down!!

crjdriver

AMD64s run very cool [this 3500+ is running @ 31C in a 70F room]
If it is running hot, you probably do not have the heatsink installed correctly.

ok u got a problem, get a new heatsink and cooling gel that should do the trick, if it don't you might want to get a new case or somethin like that

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online