1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA Hard Disk 3.0 to MOBO 1.5 Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Syntax_error, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Syntax_error

Syntax_error Thread Starter

Got some problem here,just recently bought SATA 3.0 hard disk(samsung)and i forgot if my motherboard support this hard disk,after checking it only supports 1.5 SATA.I visited samsung website on how to force my Hard disk to run at 1.5,
    I'd follow what the site told me to do but no luck still got the same problem ("Hardware Initiate failed,Please check device) (The BIOS does not be installed)

Anyone got an idea how to fix this,might be some BIOS set-up?Kindly walk me through,Im still using my trusted desktop Motherboard Asrock p4v8+ BIOS P1.50.Badly need help

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What is the model number for the hard drive? Most have an option to add a jumper to support 1.5 Gbps speed.

3. saikee

saikee

I was going to do a Google search for "Sata 2 hard disk for Sata I mobo" but there is a 500Gb 3.5" Samsung disk on my desk.

The jumper setting to run Sata -I is stamped on the Samsung hard disk cover!

4. Syntax_error

Samsung HD251HJ,i already tried the jumpers as instructed by the samsung site and manual but still got the same problem,might be bios set up?thanks for the response

no luck here:(

5. Syntax_error

Samsung HD251HJ,i already tried the jumpers as instructed by the samsung site and manual but still got the same problem,might be bios set up?thanks for the response

6. Syntax_error

7. saikee

saikee

How about a second opinion?

Run a Linux Live CD and see if it shows up in a root terminal by command
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    The other possibility is that you are running an old version of Xp that needs a Sata driver installed before it can read one or able to see a disk larger than 137Gb.

8. Syntax_error

thanks for the tip

im using windows xp sp3 july2009 version

where can i download the latest sata driver?

9. saikee

saikee

Xp with sp3 should be able to read large disks.

The Sata drivers are always an integral part of a motherboard supply. A modern motherboard has drivers for various onboard devices, latest Bios updates and utilities. You should find the Sata drivers there.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice