1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA hard disk not recognized in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by v0id, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

I have a brand new Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 motherboad which seems to be unable to recognize my two SATA hard disks. I have ensured that the power connectors and SATA cables are snug, and have tried each pair of the six SATA slots on the motherboard. I also don't hear either hard disk powering up upon boot.

This board is a replacement for my older motherboard, which died rather suddenly. Both hard disks were connected to the old motherboard at the time of its failure, which leads me to wonder if the disks are damaged beyond repair. Do motherboard failures generally affect connected hard disks? Or is my new motherboard defective?

Specs:
    CPU = AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e
    Motherboard = Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 (BIOS version 8.00.14)
    RAM = 2 x 2 GB GSkill DDR2-6400
    HDD1 = Seagate Barracuda (160 GB)
    HDD2 = Western Digital Caviar (80 GB)

2. Sponsor

3. FatPipe

FatPipe

Well it depends. Could you give more details on the original "failure"? That will point which direction to go next...

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go to discmanagment and see if they show

5. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

The older system was running fine with no indications of imminent failure when it suddenly shut down and attempted to reboot. After three failed attempts (within a second), the whole thing just died and refused to boot at all. I could hear a faint hiss and there was very noticeable odour of burning plastic. I took all this to imply that the motherboard had gone belly up after five years of flawless operation. It certainly wasn't the PSU, since I got a new one and the system wouldn't boot even then. I have since replaced the CPU, motherboard and RAM.

@ frankjohn: Do you mean the Windows XP application "Disk Management"? XP cannot boot because the disks don't even show up in the BIOS. In any case, the previous installation is useless because the CPU and motherboard have been replaced.

6. FatPipe

FatPipe

Um yea...that's bad. The failure was probably something that close enough to the drives to take them out as well....but...this might be a time to impose on a friend who has a sata interface on their motherboard and see if they can be recognized there....sorry...I hate to see that happen to anyone.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Sorry i was thinking you had a os installed. Try 1 drive ,dis connect one of the 2. In bios set the bios for default or best know config.Did the drives come with ant disc?

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

You might go to western d and download the data lifeguard tool

9. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought I might have to find somebody willing to test a couple of HDDs.

I have tried connected each individually and restoring BIOS defaults to no avail. The drives didn't come with any discs.

Thanks for the responses folks. I'll try to find somebody willing to test these HDDs.

10. frankjohn

frankjohn

If the the pc you are using right now ,remove 1 drive from the pc and install it in the working pc.See if it is recognised?

11. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

I wish I had another PC. I've been posting via an Ubuntu LiveCD environment.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice