1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA Hard Drive, Can i remove old Windows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NJM85, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJM85

NJM85 Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

Apologies if i have posted this in wrong section.

I have a laptop that died. I removed the hard drive and purchased a drive enclosure so i can copy my files and pictures. I also would like to use the old hard drive as a storage device. I have taken all the files i want from it but i was wondering if and how i can wipe/remove Windows OS from it? Can i remove everything on it and use it as a storage device? Is there any program out there that would completely wipe all data from an external hard drive? Thanks in advance :)

2. The Claw

The Claw

best answer would be go into CMD and "FORMAT (DRIVE LETTER):"

3. NJM85

NJM85 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response Claw. But does formatting just delete the directory for all the files on the drive, but the information will always be on the drive? Can you completely wipe everything? I just want to use it for storage now, so more space the better. Thanks again!

4. The Claw

The Claw

well I took the HDD out of my old PC and hooked it up into this one as a slave drive to the one already in.I ran the windows from the master drive and you can format that one to use for storage no problems.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Repartition the drive. Then format it. This can be done in Disk Management.

6. NJM85

NJM85 Thread Starter

Thank you Claw and dustjay for speedy response's . (y)

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

If you really want the data gone, you are going to have to overwrite the entire drive with something. Partitioning and formatting WILL leave data on the drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice