SATA Hard Drive, Can i remove old Windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NJM85

Hello everyone.

Apologies if i have posted this in wrong section.

I have a laptop that died. I removed the hard drive and purchased a drive enclosure so i can copy my files and pictures. I also would like to use the old hard drive as a storage device. I have taken all the files i want from it but i was wondering if and how i can wipe/remove Windows OS from it? Can i remove everything on it and use it as a storage device? Is there any program out there that would completely wipe all data from an external hard drive? Thanks in advance :)

NJM85

Thanks for your response Claw. But does formatting just delete the directory for all the files on the drive, but the information will always be on the drive? Can you completely wipe everything? I just want to use it for storage now, so more space the better. Thanks again!

well I took the HDD out of my old PC and hooked it up into this one as a slave drive to the one already in.I ran the windows from the master drive and you can format that one to use for storage no problems.

dustyjay

Jay
Repartition the drive. Then format it. This can be done in Disk Management.

jiml8

If you really want the data gone, you are going to have to overwrite the entire drive with something. Partitioning and formatting WILL leave data on the drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online