1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata Hard Drive Conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 49sam, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi can someone please help with a bit of advice.

I am looking to Change my hard drive foe IDE to sata cone someone please point me in the right direction with some step by step instructions.

I know i will need a sata cable but do i need a special power cable as well or will the normal power cable fit

Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

First does your MB support SATA drives?
    Most SATA drives (no longer sure if all) allow you to use the "standard" 4 pin Molex connector or a SATA type power plug.

3. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi yes my MB does support Sata

4. norton850

norton850

You will need the connectors as above. If you are going to install your OS on the SATA drive then a few more steps are necessary. Please post specs on your system.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most hard drive retail boxes have the converters included, check what you buy.

6. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the info Guys

My MB is a KV2 Lite and based on the VIA K8T800 Por Northbridge chipset

The maual say it does support SATA as for the hard drive i have not bought it yet?

7. norton850

norton850

8. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Thank you just what i wanted

Thanks again

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

What that doesn't say about sata drives is that they are quieter and with the exception of Seagate who is having real trouble making them right, they last indefinitely.
    Mentioned about floppy disk with sata driver to install Windows, that is true on most boards but not with Nforce2 and higher nVidia chipsetboards and 900+ Intel chipsets with some 865's also not requiring that.

10. norton850

norton850

While the above statement about some Intel and NForce MBs is true since you have the following "My MB is a KV2 Lite and based on the VIA K8T800 Por Northbridge chipset" you will need to install the driver. Windows SP1 (or SP2) also is needed.

11. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the help Norton850 just what driver do you mean and where will i get it from please and do i have to boot from a floppy or can i just boot from the windows cd.

thanks again

12. norton850

norton850

Are you planning to do a clean install and put Windows on the new SATA drive? What about your system is it a Brand or did you or someone build it?

13. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi yes i am planning to do a clean install and put windows on the SATA drive, or i might just try to use Ghost v10 to copy a image file over. My system is a custom made by a friend of mine.

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have the KV2 Lite MOBO. You'll need to go to the BIOS setup and configure your boot order in Advanced BIOS Features, and ensure Boot Other Device is enabled.

On the Integrated Peripherals menu press enter on the VIA Onchip IDE Device line. Ensure OnChip VIA SATA is enabled. On the next line SATA Mode, choose IDE (not RAID, or Windows will not see the drive).

This board does not need "F6" SATA drivers on a floppy, and you do not need to install the MOBO RAID Tools CD.

15. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

thank you very much

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice