1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata Hard Drive Conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 49sam, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Also, check the BIOS date. If it is before 2006, the BIOS doesn't support two cores with AMD Athlon 64 X2. I found the one I bought from Fry's in October 2005 did not support X2 3800+ even though Fry's sold it as a CPU+MOBO combo package. I recently updated the BIOS to fix the problem.

2. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi i will have a look at the bios date but i am not sure if i will be running two cores as per you message my system is only a Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ and 1.80 Ghz with 1 GB ram.
    Will i need to bother anout two core support.

Not sure about this

3. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi have just had a look and the Bios date is 05/01/2005 does that mean i have to update the bios the get this sata hard drive working.

If i do can you point me in the right direction to achieve this bios update please i have never done a bios update before

Thanks for you help upto now.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Your SATA drive will work with the BIOS you have now. You should only need to upgrade BIOS if your CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do decide to clone your drive, post back. There are a few things you will need to do first.

6. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Yes i do belive i will try and clone my original C: drive over to the Sata but i dont know wether it would be better to copy the c: drive with Ghost direct copy or just make an image file and boot with the restore disk and use the restore method.

Regards

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot tell you about ghost since I have not used it in years. I use and recommend acronis true image.
    I would clone the drive. When you clone a drive do not partition or attempt to format the new drive; just install it like it comes out of the box. Since this is a ide to sata clone, you must make sure the sata controller is functioning before beginning the clone process. Go to device manager and check for any yellow marks. If you need to install a driver, do so before attempting the clone.
    To clone the drive.
    1 Install the new drive and make sure power is connected
    2 Boot with your cloning app and select source [old] and destination [new] drive
    3 Complete the clone process
    4 Very important shutdown and pull the power connector from the old drive DO NOT reboot with both drives connected
    5 Now power up the system and make sure it boots, drive letters are correct, etc
    6 Once you are sure all is well, you can shutdown and reconnect your old drive. With the old drive connected, restart and enter the bios. Check that the boot drive is still the sata and NOT the ide. Many boards will default to an ide as the boot hd. Set hd order as necessary; save settings and restart. The os will assign the next available drive letter to the old drive.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Drive to drive is easier with Ghost.

9. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Thanks guys i should be ok to attempt this now with all the help you people have given me.

Thank you again

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice