1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata hard Drive (hot plug?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1_rob_1, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an Asrock k7nf2-raid motherboard & 2 sata hard drives. 1 is internal with windows xp installed, this one works fine.

The second hd is in a removable rack. This drive works fine until I remove it using "safely remove hardware". If the drive is removed in this way, whether it is re-plugged when the pc is on or off, it is not recognised by the operating system or the bios.

The only way to get this drive to work again is to cold boot the pc a few times until the drive is eventually detected, even then, windows tends to freeze when the drive is accessed.
    After the next few boots, windows stabilizes & everything then runs ok.

In the mobo manual, it does say that the mobo does not support sata hot plugging, I but if this is so, then why do I get the option to "safely remove" this drive?
    and if I cannot use this drive in this way, then why does all the above happen. surely the drive should be recognised on the next boot.

I also believe that nf2 chipsets do not support hotplug, but nf3 & 4 do. So again, why does this drive show up in the safely remove hardware group.

I have tried new cables. Swapped the rack for one out of another pc & tried a different hd, always with the same results.

Has anyone any idea why this keeps happening?

Thanks for any replies

Rob.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice