1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sata hard drive not showing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamakajohn, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamakajohn

adamakajohn Thread Starter

Hi
    I have just bought a second hand PC .
    It has sata connections on the Motherboard but when i installed a sata hard drive its not showing.
    And i cannot find any setting in the bios that says sata its says ide.
    Please HELP
    Kind regards
    Adamakajohn

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all read your manual as to bios settings/options; specifically regarding sata controller options. Next decide what mode you want ie ahci or native ide. Connect drive and pw connectors; pw ON the system and make sure the drive is detected in the bios. If you just see a splash screen during post, hit the TAB key. This usually shows post data.

Once windows loads, go to disk management Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. You should see your drive and it should be unallocated. Rt click on the drive and choose create partition. Next again right click and choose to format. If you know the drive is good, then select quick format. If you do not know the drive is good, then do the long format [long format can take quite a while with large drives]

3. adamakajohn

Hi i do not have a manual for the bios, also i dont know what ahci and native ide means.
    the sata hard drive i can see in the bios under secound hard drive, but i windows dose not show it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then follow the advise in the second paragraph re disk management and partition/format.

5. adamakajohn

I type in diskmgmt.msc but the only hard drive it shows is the ide one not the sata.
    I have a 80gb ide with the op on. and a 250sata hard drive thats not showing in diskmgmt.msc

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, post a screenshot of both device manager and disk management.

7. adamakajohn

Please forgive me for asking
    After i have pressed the print screen button where is the picture saved?
    I m using windows 7

8. adamakajohn

hope this is what u ask for

Attached Files:

9. adamakajohn

theres these aswell

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see a drive on the third ide master. Post your exact system specs ie make and model of mb and how you have these drives connected ie primary hard drive as master on ide1, optical drives on ide2, etc.

BTW you do not have to take pictures of the screen. With the window in question open ie disk management or whatever, just hit the Prt Scr button. Now open a file viewer like irfanview or paint. Click edit>paste and you have your image. If you use irfanview, you can crop the image to whatever size you want. Now save as a jpeg type file and upload.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To the clipboard.

12. adamakajohn

Hi
    its a acer aspire e500 a970
    main hd is 80gb conected via ide conection.
    the other hd is conected by sata its 250gb
    im not sure what u mean by " mb"

Attached Files:

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried another sata port and or a different pw connector/cable?

14. adamakajohn

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

About the only other thing I can thing of is to download the drive maker's diagnostic and see if the drive passes all tests. This is run from bootable media so windows does not even have to be installed.

Other than that, someone would need the system in front of them to find out why your drive is not detected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice