1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA hard drive power cable shorting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmctyphoon1992, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmctyphoon1992

gmctyphoon1992 Thread Starter

I finally loaded my window xp media center on my brand new Seagate 320gb SATA 3.0g/s transfer rate hard drive 7200.10 series and the next day the computer wont turn on at all dead. My thoughts were first the power supply went bad or bad power cable to power supply but after checking all connections and possible options i found out that it was hard drive related. I thought it was my hard drive at first because only when the power cable was connected was when the computer wouldnt power up at all and it would shut off if i tried to connect it while computer was running. The hard drive also smelled like an electrical fire so i thought i fried the mother board on the hard drive or it froze on me. I sent it back in the Seagate warranty and they gave me a factory repaired unit. I used a temporary hard drive (WD 60gb IDE not SATA)for the time being with windows xp proffesional on it and worked completely fine no problems at all. As soon as i got the new hard drive i found out that the new hard drive didnt fix the problem i had before and in fact it got worse. The computer will run but somewhere where the red cable connector meets the hard drive power connector is where it starts smoking and burning up. So im thinking it could be the power cable itself because i was using the same SATA power cable as before but im not totally sure yet? any suggestions

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can have a defective connector. As a test, use a molex>sata power adapter to connect the sata drive to a standard molex connector ie the same one you used for the ide drive.

Next have you given the sata connector a VERY close inspection with a bright light?

3. gmctyphoon1992

gmctyphoon1992 Thread Starter

well i didnt check it in a bright light but i inspected it closely and found that the red wire (of those four power wires) connector on the SATA end that connects to the hard drive is tarnished and theres a bubble from the electrical heat (fire probably) right where the red cable meets the connector. But that could have meant that the power was being shorted when it hit the hard drive connectors and burned up (red wire=power or positive)

My SATA power cable is a molex>SATA power adapter and i think im going to go by another adapter though to see if that was the problem because they are a dollar new on EBAY free shipping too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice