SATA hard drive problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blake05

I have a 160 gb seagate SATA hd as a slave on my computer. One IDE hd is the master and another IDE as a slave as well. The computer boots fine but once it has been on for a period of time (30 mins to an hour) it makes a short beeping noise and the SATA hd just disappears. If you go to my computer it is no longer there and you can't access anything on it. If you restart the computer it comes back and everything is fine until it disapears again. I checked the drive for errors using the software that came with it and it found no errors. The drive works fine before it disappears. I have a 450 watt power supply so I don't think that would be the problem. Could there be a problem with my SATA controller and how would I check that? Any other ideas? Thanks a lot!

Master and slave terms only apply to IDE drives, SATA has it's own controller and should be attached to the motherboard by a SATA cable.
What SATA drivers do you use? Your motherboard needs drivers for proper use of the SATA drive, preferably installed at Windows Setupo procedure. Myself I use Silicon drivers.

Cheers

/NL

I think you have a Silicon Image controller as well, did the motherboard come with a disk for SATA drivers?
The SATA cable plugs are poorly designed and haved a tendency to fit loosly, are they properly connected?

Also, I have found that it is fairly easy to burn out the Sata controller---(happen twiced to me---one do to a whacky repetitive power surge etc.) Rather then replace the Controller, I bought a Sata card and everything runs fine.

Blake05

The cables are properly connected, so I don't think that is the problem. I'll try updating the drivers and if it still doesn't work I guess I'll buy a sata controller. Where do I download the drivers from? I googled silicon sata drivers but couldn't find a download site. Thanks!

Blake05

thanks for all the help. I have updated the drivers and I have replaced the cable that connects the hd to the mobo. It has not fixed the problem. Does anyone know if there are any viruses that would cause something like this or if it could be anything else? thanks

The computer boots fine but once it has been on for a period of time (30 mins to an hour) it makes a short beeping noise...
----------------------------------------------------

I wonder if in that amount of time it could get too hot?

Sometimes various parts don't get their share of cooling air flow...

Blake05

well it gets really slow for like a minute or two, not frozen, just really really slow. Then, the sata hd just disappears. Everything else works fine before and afterwards.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online