1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA hard drive question... im generally getting 2 answers. which 1 is right to you?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lab_rat, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lab_rat

lab_rat Thread Starter

okay, long story short; i'm experiencing these ~1 second "freeze" literally when i click the mouse button to shoot my guy's gun, or literally right when someone is firing at me. the games im referring to are call of duty M.W.2 and Counter Strike Source.

note;
    -i get a pretty decent frame rate when the above "death hiccups" are not occuring.
    -it's not network lag, it's in-game frame rate. instantly goes down to about 1 frame a second, for ~1 second. and it's only when the action first starts heating up (first blood, if you will.)
    -fairly new pc! only about a month since purchase from Bestbuy

~~~~i got one guy (let's call him tech guy 1) convincing me, that there's no way it's the hard drive, because that can only effect the load time for the map, in an online first person shooter.

~~~~i got another guy (tech guy 2) also (contradictorily (yes, that's a word!)) convincing me, "it's using a "swapfile" to clear out a full 8 Gbs of RAM including video swaps, even if there's an independent video card with high-end RAM. Varying the speed of the drive takes system time, read/write time, and swapfile write time." ----- and i get other similar responses telling me that the variable rpm can slow down the game. i can attest to the sound of the hard drive speeding up during these critical gaming moments, so either guy could be right, as far as i know!

here's my pc (or you can just take my word for it when i tell you it's a high-end pc, with a variable RPM hard drive. "eco-friendly hard drive") ---- http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668659.php

~~~~what is your conclusion on this situation? which one is (more) correct? any and all input is very highly welcomed.... :D

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Depending on your resolution settings and the amount of memory
    on the video card,it could be swapping out texture data to the hard drive.
    You might check to see if there is any software installed that controls the hard drive.
    It might be possible to set it to high performance while playing games or
    just disable the variable function all together.
    I am not too familiar with variable rpm drives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice