1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bsabatini, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

I am replacing my motherboard and just got it installed... I have 2 hard drives that are mirrored. I just plugged them into SATA1 and SATA2 on the motherboard, and the computer will not boot. In the BIOS, it sees the drives, but I am not sure what is wrong. I get the option of starting Windows in Safe mode or normal mode, which when I choose either, it just reboots again and starts over. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!! : )

2. bigbear

bigbear

Is the new motherboard identical to the old? if not you will have to reinstall the OS.

3. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

Oh no... I didn't realize that... so I need to boot to the Windows XP Cd Rom, and then can I just reinstall Windows without having to re-do the whole computer... like a repair install, or will I have to wipe out everything off the hard drive and start over?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you reinstall windows it is going towipe your hard drive. Any programs and files on that hard drive will be lost. It is best to back up any data that do not want to lose to another drive or other media first. As far as programs go, you will have to reinstall any programs so that they will have the correct registry entries to run properly. If you have data on a second hard drive and you do not format or repartition it your data will be safe.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You want to do the Repair Install of WIndows if you wish to keep your installed programs and data.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

To run right, you really need to do a new install with such different hardware.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    To do a repair install of WIndows and get the drivers right isnt he going ot have to boot the system and delete all the existing drivers and devices in Device Manager first? So that there will not be a driver conflict when he is done?

8. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

The 2 hard drives were mirrored... will this be difficult to set up once I reformat and reinstall windows?

9. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

I can't boot into Windows at all to go to Device Manager, so I guess I will need to reinstall. After reading these replies, it seems like my only other option besides reinstalling the OS, would be to replace the motherboard with an identical one... this computer is about 2 years old... would it be almost impossible to find a duplicate motherboard? Any suggestions on where to look for a replacement? I did back up my data, and I could probably reload everything by the time I waited on a new MB to get here... what do you all think? What would you do?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes actually that is the smartest way to do it.

11. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

How do I mirror those hard drives so that when I reinstall, everything will be the same on each one? I assume that is done in the BIOS, but I don't know what it would be under.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you do not need to boot into Windows before doing the repair installation. Drivers can be uninstalled afterwards.

13. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

OK, so if I use this option and do the repair install, then will that mess up my mirroring?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you had the drives mirrored then that mirroring was broken once you installed the new motherboard. That will need to be setup again.

Most motherboards, not all though, will allow the mirroring to be setup with a drive that already has data on it and retain that data. But a few will wipe out any data on both drives once the RAID is setup. Just a word of caution.

Also I'd set up the RAID after doing the Windows repair install, that way if something were to go wrong you still have a drive with the copy of the original configuration. Make sure to load all the chipset drivers after completing the repair install but before setting up the RAID.

15. bsabatini

bsabatini Thread Starter

Great- thank you!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/493718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice