SATA Hard Drive Reading As Half Of Actual Space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aviynw

This is a rather perculiar problem. I built my own system with a seagate 250 gb 7200.8 hard drive and an msi K8N NEO4 Platinum Motherboard. It was working fine for 3 months and when I installed windows it immediately recongnized the 250 GB of storage on my hard drive. Though I'm about to sell my computer so I was planning on re-formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of windows. When I stuck in the windows xp cd I erased the 250 gb partition, but when I tried to set up a new partition windows only recognized that the hard drive had 130062 mb of storage. I've tried switching cables and switching sata ports on my mobo but whenever I stick in my xp cd it still says it only has 130 gb. Curious to how another program would respond I took out my Suse linux 10.0 CD and it did in fact recognize 232 GB of storage which I think is normal because you can never use the full amount of space, right?

Anyways I'm stumped, has anyone ever had similar problems with their hard drive. I should have a warranty, do I need to replace it? Should I try booting with a cd that has some sort of disk fixer? I tried booting with a Norton disk but it had no such option. Now that I'm writing this I actually remember one detail that might help explain the problem. Right before I decided to sell my computer there was actually some sort of error on my hard drive and when I ran disk check it had to erase a bunch of my files. Does that mean there is some sort of bad sector on my hard drive? And if so is there any way to fix it?

Well thanks, I appreciate any help

For that big of hard drive, you have to set a jumper. also, make sure that your hard disk isnt partitioned.

Edit: I dont think you hard disk has any bad sectors. If you did, any kind of scan would have picked it up. even if you did have one or two, you wouldnt see any noticeable degrade in performance...

sorry forget the last post... ok.... You need to enable Windows XP to allow 48 bit LCA... If your mobo doesnt support that, then you might need to update your BIOS.

aviynw

this is a quote from Seagate's Website, "Serial ATA interface disc drives are designed for easy installation. It is not necessary to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector is for factory use only."

Searching seagates website I saw that it says, "To successfully install and obtain the maximum capacity from the drive, use DiscWizard 2003 disc drive installation software utility." You can burn it as an iso image on a CD. I'll try that and I hope it works.

Thanks for the quick reponses and what do you mean when you say "slipstreamed cd that includes Service pack 2." Slipstreamed is not a term I am familiar with.

Thanks!

aviynw

My mobo is the same mobo that I used succesfully with this drive for 3 months so I am assuming it must support it.

WinXP needs at least SP1 to fully recognize the size of your HD. Are you using the same installation CD as you did the first time around?

aviynw

Yes, I am using the same installation CD, which is why it doesn't make any sense. Well, I'm following the instructions that the seagate disk wizard gave me. I'm formatting the first 137 gigbytes and once windows is installed disk wizard can format the rest. What might have happened is I might have first installed an xp disk that had sp1 and then re-installed windows with the disc I am using now. And maybe since windows with sp1 was already installed, the new installation with my current disc went smoothly. And then maybe I changed something (unpurposely) so when I tried installing xp using my current disc it didn't work. Well, that's the only logical thing I can think of. I used to think about my computer problems logically but the more experience I have the more I feel there is no explination. I know there always is, but I've had so many computer problems that seem not to make any sense, ;).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online