1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarqueMist, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarqueMist

DarqueMist Thread Starter

Is it possible to set up a SATA hard drive during a reinstall of winXP when you don't have a floppy drive? I've been poking around forums and help guides looking at instructions for reinstalling winXP on my computer which has a single 160G SATA hard drive. They all mention controllers from a floppy .... which I don't have.

2. amagliul

amagliul

There are a few options here. If it isjust a single SATA harddrive you may be able to get by without the drivers on a floppy. I just did a WinXP install (using XP + Service pack 2) onto a single SATA drive without needing any additional drivers suring the install. If you are using a RAID controller then you will most likely need a floppy (or slipstream your RAID drivers onto the XP Install CD). Since you are only using one drive I am guessing you are not using RAID...

3. DarqueMist

DarqueMist Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place or not but I did find a controller of some sort on my system right now.
    Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I installed XP on an IDE drive, then used Acronis True Image to move it over to the SATA RAID array on this machine with no floppy. While on the IDE drive, I installed the RAID drivers so I was ready.

5. KingCody

KingCody

I did the same thing that amaglial and had no issue. As long as your XP CD (or DVD) has SP2 on it, it includes large drive SATA support and you will have no problem with your installation. RAID is another story, but just plain SATA shouldn't be an issue.

You can order a SP2 CD from microsoft, I don't know if that would work or not. Just try it first it may work fine, the worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't work and you will have to spend a whopping $10 on a floppy drive...

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, unless the SATA is the Intel chipset, I think you still need the drivers, and XP insists on getting them from the floppy and nowhere else.

7. amagliul

amagliul

I installed on a NForce4 board onto SATA with no additional drivers needed during the install. YMMV.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot up with your xp cd and see. If not, you can make an install cd with the sata drivers integrated. I do this quite often. It is pretty easy to do using nlite.

In fact I just did an install last night on an nforce4 board using a win2k cd I made with nforce4 drivers integrated into the install cd. No floppy was needed at all.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/447647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice