1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA Hard Drives and Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlynMcCauley, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlynMcCauley

AlynMcCauley Thread Starter

Well, I'm building a computer from scratch with one Serial ATA hard drive. Everything seems to be working great, until I try to install Windows XP. I load up and everything goes well. I get to the Windows XP Install screen, I press F6 to load my drivers. I do so. However my hard drive is still not seen! I'm streched to the end of my rope. I've tried a different SATA cables, both the SATA 1 and the SATA 2 ports on the motherboard, different floppies and the drivers that came with the motherboard CD and the drivers from the floppy.

My motherboard is an ASUS SK8V.

Any suggestions?

2. GRudger

GRudger

Have you set the BIOS to SATA? Integrated Peripherals or something like that I think in Phoenix bios...

3. saikee

saikee

Has the SATA been reported by the BIOS present in your system during a POSTing? It should reports to you its position (No. 0 or No. 1) too according to which one of the SATA1 or SATA2 connection is made.

4. AlynMcCauley

Yep, SATA is enable and it does detect No. 0 during bootup.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you press F6 to load the additional driver does it take you to a screen where it shows you the driver it found? Or does it go straight to where it says no drive found?

Also, I'm sure you know, but make sure you have the right files on the floppy - there should be an *.inf file on the disk.

6. saikee

saikee

Triple6 got a point here. After pressing F6 XP should go on for a minute or two before it stops and ask the drivers to be fed. It then presents the choices available from the floppy and ask the user to select. This can go on untill all the drivers are entered.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hmmm...

Interesting...

I've so far never had to load additional SATA drivers when installing XP ( unless maybe it is an old copy of XP, you may need a Slipstreem of XP SP 1 )...

What happens if you don't press F6, to load the drivers ?

8. AlynMcCauley

After I press F6, Windows contiues on like nothing happened until I get to the screen that says something to the effect of "Press S to load additional drivers." I do so and it take sme to a screen that says to insert the floppy and press enter. I do so, I choose from the list of drivers, Promise 378 for XP. Then when I go back to the Press S to load additional drivers page, it says "The Following Drivers Will be Loaded: Promise 378." However, after I press enter to continue onward I get a message saying "No Mass Storage Devices Found"

I don't think my XP is old, I just bought it about three days ago. None the less, I will double check that when I get home. If I don't press F6, I just go straight to the "No Mass Storage Devices Found" screen.

<EDIT> I checked my Windows XP disk, and it contains SP1<EDIT>

9. SacsTC

SacsTC

Under the advanced tab in the bios, Enable OnChip SATA boot rom. Under Boot Menu, choose your Sata Drive as the boot device. You do not need to load any additional drivers while loading XP.

10. tecknics

tecknics

that happened to me too installing xp on my sata but when i checked the bios it was disabled make sure its enabled...

11. saikee

saikee

SacsTC

That is interesting. I am going to have a look at the BIOS setup later.

In my case if I do not install the drivers XP simply reports "No disk found" when it comes to the part to create or choose a partition for Windows installation.

The way I understand is that the mobo will pick the SATA up and reports it on the screen. That to me the device is available at the hardware level. Including it in the booting queue is just to allow it to be a booting device.

The driver is needed by XP itself, pressumably it needs all drivers for software driven hard drives. The message for F6 is to press the key if the user uses scsi drives. SATA isn't even mentioned.

In AlynMcCauley case I would feed all the SATA related drivers in and let XP to choose the right one.

12. AlynMcCauley

Well, I fixed it. I'm not sure why it worked, but it did. I unplugged my cable from the SATA 1 port on the motherboard and plugged it into the SATA RAID1. I loaded the drivers from the floppy and XP installed great.

13. GRudger

GRudger

Aren't they the same thing?

14. Jballou

Jballou

The normal SATA port probably takes the place of one of the primary IDE slots in BIOS. This is the case with my mobo. If you had something else attached there on the IDE cable then it wouldn't detect the drive. The RAID SATA controller probably doesn't do this which would explain why it works there.

15. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

OMG thank you this solution worked for me :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice