1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA harddrive not working with new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StorminD, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StorminD

StorminD Thread Starter

I have Asus motherboard with a SATA WD 250gig harddrive......i`m upgrading my motherboard and processor with another Asus motherboard.I replaced the motherboard and set everything up but for some reason the new motherboard doesnt see the SATA harddrive.I`m trying to figure out why.....i know all connections are correct.If i put in a IDE motherboard the bios sees it with no problem....the thing is i want to use this SATA drive.....does anyone have ant suggest to why its not seeing it?

2. norton850

norton850

Need to know the model of the new MB/CPU and what SATA connectors on the MB you are using. Is it BIOS that doesn't see the drive or Windows setup.

3. bonk

bonk Banned

On the disk that came with your Motherboard is there SATA drivers on it if so load them up.

4. StorminD

StorminD Thread Starter

The Motherboard is a Asus model K8U-X

5. StorminD

StorminD Thread Starter

You cant load any drivers from the Motherboard disk unless the os is loaded

6. StorminD

StorminD Thread Starter

If i plus the SATA harddrive into Sata 2 it brings a blue screen up......i`m trying not to have Harddrive....this WD 250 gig drive is a pain

7. norton850

norton850

When is it not seen? BIOS or when you start to install Windows? Don't understand your last post.

8. martingreg3

martingreg3

What you need to do is use ASTRA 32 off the net to analyse your machine. Then this will identify the chipset driving the SATA interface. Not the drive itself, generally on the PCIbus, hanging off the NBORth end chip.
    Beware of 64 bit systems because ASTRA 32 can only make a guess at the chipset.

Sometimes the motherboard software has the correct drivers on it and you will need to copy the SATA drivers onto a floppy and when you install your operating system ( if Windows) then when it prompts for special disk drivers hit F6 or F3 if I remember then load the driver from the floppy.

If the motherboard CD does not have the correct drivers on it then get them of the net from the motherboard manufacturers. VIA chipsets are very popular especially the M3M890 chipset set on 64 bit machines. If you have a 32 bit machine things are a lot simpler, (sometimes). Dual 64 bit CPU machines will run Windows 98 with one CPU running. (just useless info)

9. norton850

norton850

i don't imagine that Astra or anything will help if you can't boot up. :)

10. martingreg3

martingreg3

Sorry I have confused both of you with my complicated answer. Firstly the default drve C: config is IDE or EIDE. You should have an EIDE connector on your board, in addition to the SATA connector. You now have two options dependant upon whether you have a spare EIDE drive or Windows 98SE.

11. norton850

norton850

I'm not at all confused. Your suggestion won't work. Poster is trying to install a SATA drive. What does Win98 have to do with this?

12. martingreg3

martingreg3

Sory I hate these editors which respond to TAB with a change in level of command and not a TAB space. That is what happened just now....

Back to the options. Windows 98 does not support 64 bit instruction set or dual processors. So the system runs in 32 bit compatability mode, using one processor, ( if the ASUS card is a dual and your problem is typical of a dual CPU motherboard.)

The single CPU mode allows the standard Win98 set of drivers to operate.
    In this case most SATA drives are written on a SCSI driver principle.

Consequently the lack of an EIDE drive means the Win98SE software defaults to SCSI and hey presto your SATA BIOS driver works. UP comes Win98, you can even load the standard 322 bit video driver so you get out of the 16 colour mode.

Then onto the net, get your Motherboard CD etc do the job to floppy and then you are nearly ready.

The better way i discovered after I had done it this way is to add an old EIDE and load the 64 bit XP software then load up the SATA driver from the CD onto floppy.

Then remove the EIDE drive and install using the floppy, the XP software will then load the Windows XP which it has in memory to the SATA drive and continue with the configuration of the machine.

This is preferable to the Win98 method which is for emergency use. The problem for the Win98 on SATA is that when you install XP it finds the EXTENDED FAT32 File system. This means you have considerable job to convince the XP software that it should be using NTFS.
    This is because setup for XP confuses FAT32 and Windows in place, as a need to upgrade the machine to XP keeping the main file system in place, so you do not lose your files.

But if your machine is a 64bit with SATA the XP sotware runs into problems, probably with a data boundary problem. Using third party formatters solve the problem because they wipe out windows 98.

You have some choices. I find the extra EIDE drive is the best. The other method is if all else fails.

13. norton850

norton850

Now I am confused as I am sure StorminD is also. What does all this have to do with helping her/him?

14. martingreg3

martingreg3

Forget everything just this:

The best way I discovered is to add an old EIDE and load the 64 bit XP software.

First: Load up the SATA driver from the CD onto floppy from either the mother CD which you can now read or the internet (still using the EIDE.)

Now add the SATA drive and test the software as SATA drive D:.

Copy the driver to floppy. Now remove the EIDE because you have a tested driver and install the XP software using the correct tested SATA driver on yoiur floppy.

15. martingreg3

martingreg3

This editor is terrible I wish people would keep to the ANSI (VT100) specification. Each time I hit TAB for an indent, the system flies off. Perishing Windows !!!.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice