1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA HD and SCSI HD compatability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RAB757, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAB757

RAB757 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new Dell 8400 with a 40 GB SATA drive. I want to put my old hard drive (Quantum Fireball) SCSI drive into my new machine so I can use it as a storage device and, most importantly, access its files. I've noted that the new SATA drive has the small data serial cable (4 pin?) that is attached to the motherboard (bay 0). My older SCSI Quantum Fireball has the long (15 pin?) data connection. In order to add the SCSI Fireball as the slave, is there an adapter I can purchase to connect to the 15 pin SCSI Fireball to the 4 pin bay (bay 1) motherboard of my new Dell 8400?

Is any of this possible? I'm sort of a novice and may not have phrased my question correctly.

Sure could use some advice!

RAB757

2. saikee

saikee

The SATA should have two connections; a standard robust 4-pin for power supply and a thin cable with a "L" shape connector (so that it cannot be reversed) for data. SCSI uses an entirely different connection and should never be mixed with each other. Haven't got a SCSI now but I expect the two should co-exist. Both need its own controller. SATA should be an onboard peripheral if you can plug directly to the mobo. As far I am aware SCSI still runs with an adaptor card. Being software driven they don't need to set up as master or slave. The order you specify in the BIOS dictates their drive letters and the C drive goes to the one top of the booting queue.

3. RAB757

RAB757 Thread Starter

Thanks for the great help. However, since I'm a novice I have to admit to my stupidity. It appears that the hard drive is an ATA (Quantum Fireball) and not a SCSI. I'm embarassed about my lack of knowledge in this area. Anyway, I went to Fry's and bought an adapter to connect my many pin Quantum ATA LCT 10 (30 G) drive to the small pin attachment at the motherboard. I connected the power supply and booted the computer. I went to the bios set-up to ensure that the SATA drive that came with my new Dell was set to drive "0" and the secondary drive (quantum) was set to "1" (since I plugged the older quantum drive to slot 1 on the motherboard). I then continued the boot sequence only to find that the machine did not show anything (recognize) about my number 1 drive (the quantum ATA). It only showed the drive in position "0" (the SATA drive that came with the computer). Do I need a software driver to control/instruct my quantum ATA drive? I really would like to have the data from this drive (it's from my old machine). I'm using XP Home edition.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughtful help.

4. saikee

saikee

The adapter should work although this is against the trend, i.e. downgrading instead of upgrading. The slowest SATA can transfter 150Mb/s whereas the fastest ATA can only manage 133Mb/s.

Now I would do two things in your case

(1) Check the ATA disk and make sure its jumper is at the "master" position. There should be diagrams in the hard disk casing showing which two pins needed to be short-circuit by a small jumper. As you have only one it has to be a Master. If two are attached then you set one as master and the other as slave and the computer will boot the master for you. The computer will be confused if you ATA has been set as a slave in the absence of a master and can igore it on safety ground.

(2) I have limited knowledge about your Dell 8400 but most mother boards support ATA hard drive and will have one to two ATA/IDE cables connections to the CD drives. Thus you should be able to connect the ATA drive with the spare plug on the cd drive cable (if there is no spare plug buy a new one, it cost about $5). Thus if you have a CD drive then that cable can be used for ATA disk and no need to go through ATA-to-SATA adaptor.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree, use an ide connector on the board. Just set the drive as a slave to whatever device is now using the ide port.

6. RAB757

RAB757 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, it still won't work no matter how hard I try or how many combinations of BIOS and jumper settings I use for the older ATA drive. Maybe the ATA/SATA drive adapter (to make the ATA drive compatible with the motherboard connection) is faulty. I'll keep trying, but thanks for all of the ideas!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should not need an adapter. Just connect the drive to where you connect the optical [CD] drive. You should have two standard ide connectors on your board. Connect the drive to one of those as either master or slave. Use an 80 wire cable; the color coded blue, black, and gray type.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice