1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata HD Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rolan222, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rolan222

Rolan222 Thread Starter

Currently use a Dell, Dimension 4700 w/HomeXP....
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM at 4000Hz - 2X256MB DIM
    80GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM DIM.M
    INTEGRATED INTEL PRO 100M PCI NIC CARD
    DIM 4700 P4 520 (2.8GHZ) HT INT 8NDNICV

Is it possible to install a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA HD, 200GB,
    Model ST3200822AS in my Dell 4700???

Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks

Rolan222

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Certainly should be but as I never saw a board didn't have at least 2 sata ports.
    You must have at least SP1 to recognize more than 137 gb hard drive though.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you want to install the extra drive for storage OR do you want to clone your existing drive to the new one?

4. Rolan222

Rolan222 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding to my post crj... I plan to use the extra drive for storage. We are converting or a lab is coverting 8mm film I shot of our kids on ski vacations in the 60's, 70's and 80's. to DVD format When the DVD comes back I plan to edit, add a sound track and make DVD's for our family. The 80GHD I now use is 70% filled.

I have a 200G Seagate, Barracuda HD that a friend gave to me a few months ago and I'm trying to determine in which direction I should proceed. I'm 75 yrs of age, new to this tech stuff, but I like challenge and want to continue learning about computer technology.
    Thanks for your help
    Rolan222

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty simple then, just connect the drive to an available sata connector and power connector. Next restart your system and go to disk management start>run type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. Your drive should show up as drive 1 [orriginal drive would be 0] from disk management you partition and format the drive. If you want more than one partition, now is the time to do it.

That is about it; you are good to go and use the drive for storage.

6. Rolan222

Rolan222 Thread Starter

Thanks CRJ for your assist & pointing me in the right direction. The system booted perfectly and all programs work perfectly.

Rolan222

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice