1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA HDD as the main drive on an IDE mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albo23, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. albo23

albo23 Thread Starter

Basically, my IDE hard drive is really slow and noisy and I want to use my extra SATA hard drive on an old computer. However, the computer only has IDE connections... BUT! I have one of these:

[​IMG]

I tried connecting my HDD to this via a SATA cable and powering the HDD via a molex to sata power cable. When I turn on the computer, it just tells me "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

All I want to do is run Windows XP from it.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That picture shows that the BIOS chip on that card is set for raid. If that card came from Ebay, which I suspect it did, the BIOS is not updatable on there to turn it into a non raid card and it is not bootable.

I had one.I suggest you get an IDE to SATA adapter that will let the SATA drive work plugged into the IDE controller.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

I don't think it's set to RAID, only that it's RAID-capable.
    It's probably an F3 key-punch during boot up to access the card's features.

I had the same card booting a hard drive on a Socket A board years ago. Mind you, I was using a Linux OS, but it might be that you need to install additional drivers during a Windows install (i.e. the F6 option during Windows XP installation).

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are purchasing a ssd for performance reasons [which I assume since a mech drive is much cheaper] I would NOT be buying a cheap via controller card. If you want the performance out of the drive, then go with a quality controller like a promise card.

FWIW you will spend at almost as much on a quality controller card as you would for a new modern mb, cpu, and ram.
    For less than $200 you can get a modern am3+ board, amd 965 cpu and 8gig of ram. This is only a little more than a quality controller.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

I see no mention SSD...only SATA.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are correct. I was working on another thread at the same time. Disregard my post above.

That is what happens when you try and do too many things at once :)

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I also missed a small point that may have made my first comment incorrect.
    I missed that it was a VIA card and saw it as a cheap Chinese copy of a Promise card which cannot be changed. The proper Promise card can be changed, but the cheap ones cannot.
    My comment about booting may still be valid though. And good luck trying to de-cypher which VIA drivers you need.

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

Agreed.

If you're on a budget, you're better off with a Promise or Silicon Image card. VIA drivers are "tempermental" to say the least.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice