1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA HDD, DVD/CD Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guitar112993, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitar112993

guitar112993 Thread Starter

I have built my own new pc using this type of board and i have come across a problem.
    Using the SATA ports on the board i have fitted a (SAMSUNG S223C 22X DVD+/-RW SATA BLACK) and a (SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.12 500GB 16MB CACHE HARD DRIVE - -SATA).
    So i boot up the system and open up the operating system software using the dvd drive and it gets to a stage saying that no drives were found to save the data, then gives me the option to brows for a drive. When i browse for my drive it appears and it says that i need to format my HDD and gives me an option to do so, but when i click format i get an error message saying that windows cannot format the drive, please check that the drive is connected correctly and make sure that the HDD is not set to ROM.
    So i come back to bios and go to the HDD section and it says that i have no drives connected to the motherboard (this is now after me trying a few hundred times and even changing the SATA lead connecting the HDD to the motherboard). so i root around some more and find an option to change the SATA 4/5 to 'Native IDE'. Ok, with that changed, on boot up it now says that we have a HDD but when i go to load the OS, it claims that i now have no DVD/CD drive in order to load up the operating system.
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    Any suggestions are helpful :), Many thanks, Dan

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, post your exact hardware AND what os you are installing. We have no idea what mb you are using. Next it sounds like you need to load the ahci driver for windows to find the drive.

Just a guess but I bet you used a gigabyte board.

3. guitar112993

guitar112993 Thread Starter

Yes i have used a gigabyte board

AMD-1075T AMD PHENOM II X6 1075T SIX CORE 3.0GHZ SOCKET AM3 - RETAIL

And i am trying to install Windows 7 64-Bit
    If you need any more information about the board please ask, Many thanks Dan

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all, you need bios F7 or later to run that cpu. What bios version does it say when you pw ON. Note if you see the gigabyte splash screen rather than post data, you need to disable the splash screen in the bios.
    In addition, there are three different versions of that mb; ver 1.0 [which I assume you have] and ver 1.3 and 1.4. In order to find out what bios you need, I need to know what ver board you are using. This should be on the mb box on the sticker with the serial number, etc.

Next you connect the DVD drive to the to sata four or five. Set that as native IDE in the bios. Set sata 1,2,3 as ahci not raid. Either download the ahci pre-install driver from the gigabyte site OR it should be on your support DVD. Win7 can install this driver from a usb, CD or floppy type drive; your choice. Put the driver on the drive of your choice and start the win7 install. During setup, you choose advanced options>load driver. You should now see your hard drive to install win7.

Next issue I see is that you have used what I call a junk pw supply. When you use something like this, it may work or it may not. Good brands of pw supplies; corsair, seasonic, pcpower&cooling. They cost about twice what you paid for the one you installed; they are worth the price.

Here is a link to the download page for your board.
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3415#dl

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice