1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA HD's and MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urikorulzs2, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urikorulzs2

urikorulzs2 Thread Starter

ok i have a big problem and i neeed help asap. i have a compaq presario sr1303wm. and it has an A7V8X-LA (Kelut-GL6E). the board is suppoes to support SATA hard drives right and i know it does because i have an 80gb SATA hd installed on it. but my issue is i have 2 160 gb hard drives and im trying to install it on there without any other hard drives installed. when i connect the hard drives, in the diagnostic screen it takes a long time to detect the hard drive but it still doesnt detect it. so i go into the bios to see if its in there and theres nothing. so i connected and ide hard drive and the 2 SATA drives and booted into windows, and it wasnt in device manager or disk management. i asked compaq technical support if theres a limit on the size of SATA hard drives and they said no and they said i need to update my bios, which i did and that didnt help. i tryed to see if i could reload on either hd, but i cant load anything bc it needs a raid controller which i dont have one bc those compaqs dont come with a floppy and idk where to get the raid controller driver. so if anyone knows how they can help, it would be much appreciated.

2. jamsum

jamsum

Try formatting the drives first with either the manufacturer supplied software disk that comes with any new drive, or Windows (if that's what you are using). Follow the instructions that came with the new drives (that are hopefuylly identical). Hopefully the drives were supplied with a bootable CD.

3. urikorulzs2

no they didnt come with bootable cd's i got them from my job. they r just some drives we didnt need so i took them. but they do work bc i checked them before i took them.

4. jamsum

jamsum

OK, I am no expert, but I do know that for instance XP that I use as an OS will usually not recognize an unformatted drive, nor will the BIOS of the Mboard. If you got these drives from work, then there might be some kind of other hardware issue or protection feature involved here. If it is a different OS that was originally on these drives, that would also throw other variables into the soup. Other than that, I can't offer much help.

5. urikorulzs2

i tryed to check and format the drive using the winxp setup, but i need a raid or scsi floppy to install raid drivers before i can continue. my problem is i dont have those drivers, is there anywhere i can download the drivers and copy it to a floppy?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can go to the Asus or Compaq website and download the RAID drivers. The board is manufactured by Asus for Compaq, so I'd start at the Compaq support section.

7. urikorulzs2

already downloaded the drivers from compaq, and it still didnt work and then i tryed to download the drivers from asus, but the file in the folder is an awd file extension so i dont know what to do with that

8. jamsum

jamsum

The drivers should come with the motherboard installation CD (you would have to copy them to a floppy from the CD) or with a supplied floppy. An alternative suggestion is that if you are going through this much trouble, why not just replace your motherboard with a new one.
    John Will's reply is the first one I would pay attention to.

9. urikorulzs2

i dont have a cd bc it came as a whole system with no cd's or anything.

10. urikorulzs2

im thinking of doing that next and im only going through all this trouble bc i want to transfer things to my new case asap. and what would u suggest for a new moderboard?
    i have a sempron 3000+ c.0GHz processor, with 1GB of ram, a fx5900xt, needs to have like 4 or more pci slots and SATA connectors.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice