1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA HDs used for data storage won't open after systen reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syko150, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syko150

syko150 Thread Starter

I have winxp pro on a ide drive, computer was crashing a lot and going slow so I reinstalled and formatted c:. Also present are two SATA drives on a pci contoller card, that I use for data storage. When rebooting the new install, the sata drives were not there in my computer or in disk management. I reinstalled the card drivers and they are now present but with no letter mapped as if they were newly installed drives. I followed disk managements prompts and made them dynamic and gave them their drive letters. They now appear in my computer but will not open behaving as unformatted drives. Disk management also says the are empty which they most definitly are not. I don't want to format them as they have home movies and photos which I have not backed up. I don't want to use data recovery software as it is expensive and anyway the disk are not damaged in any way. It seems windows has lost its way to opening instuctions on them. Help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you converted them to dynamic drives, I suspect the data went with them. Why in the world are you screwing around with dynamic drives? The fact that it asked you to convert to dynamic drives tells me that Windows didn't recognize that there was any data on the drives.

3. syko150

syko150 Thread Starter

Well they would not open anyway and that was the only choice windows gave me. I figured if it wants dynamic then at present they musy be static. I don't even know what dynamic drive means! I scaned the drives with a demo version of R-studio and everything is on them they are just inaccessable to windows.
    rob

4. syko150

syko150 Thread Starter

OK I have read microsofts blurb on dynamic disk. Boy have i cocked up. I think a disk recovery operation is my only option. Cheapest way?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice