Sata II hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Swiper

Hey, its been awhile.....

Have an issue with a newly installed Western Digital SATA II hard drive and Windows XP
I get the little notification icon in my task bar " safely remove device " that I want to get rid of.

anyone know how this is possible??

is it associate to any sort of dll file that I can merely unregister or something.

any help would be appreciated

Swiper

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This appear to be an issue with some SATA drivers, my new nVidia nForce4 MB RAID drivers also show both drives as removable, but I haven't found a cure. :)

Swiper

I have Nforce 3 board
newest 200 Gig SATA drive is producing this for me

going to check my BIOS or mobo manual for any SATA settings that may be causing it , although I highly doubt I'll see anything about this in there.

If i come up with anything, I will let you know

** apparently this issue happens with Sata II harddrive (which most new ones are ) **

You are running a SATAII harddrive on a nForce3 board? SATAII was only supported in the nForce4 Ultra chipset. Why would you buy a SATAII hardrive?

Swiper

SATA II is the newest standard for harddrives ( so, don't have a choice )

NFORCE 3 and NFORCE 4 are basically the same

difference:
NFORCE3 = AGP
NFORCE4 = PCI-EX

still need to know how to get rid of the blasted icon from taskbar :eek:)
(i don't like having to use " hide inactive icons option" either)

Actually there was much more difference than just AGP/PCI-E. SATA is backcomapdible, ie: SATAII drive>SATAI port, and vice versa. There are also heaps of SATAI drives still on the market. I just found it odd that you would buy one. There is no real benefit to justify the premium price. I am just thinking that because of this backward setup, it could be causing the problem.

Swiper

well, i hear that with some SATA II and NVIDIA drivers, these drives appear to be HOTSWAPPABLE and thus, this message comes up.

anyone out there with a SATA II drive on a ViA chipset having this issue ??

SATA is supposed to be hot swappable like a usb hard drive...my board came with like an extender kind of thing for it so that u could hook up a SATA hdd outside of the case, so it shows the safely remove for cases like that. I don't think its a bug.

Swiper

ok, we got a little off topic.

other than ' hide desktop icons ' option, is there any other way to disable this little icon ' safely remove hardware ' from appearing in the task bar ??

anyone know if this can be done through a registry hack or something ??

thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online