1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata II hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Swiper, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

Hey, its been awhile.....

Have an issue with a newly installed Western Digital SATA II hard drive and Windows XP
    I get the little notification icon in my task bar " safely remove device " that I want to get rid of.

anyone know how this is possible??

is it associate to any sort of dll file that I can merely unregister or something.

any help would be appreciated

Swiper

2. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

btw, anyone know any tricks for this one ??

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This appear to be an issue with some SATA drivers, my new nVidia nForce4 MB RAID drivers also show both drives as removable, but I haven't found a cure. :)

4. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

I have Nforce 3 board
    newest 200 Gig SATA drive is producing this for me

going to check my BIOS or mobo manual for any SATA settings that may be causing it , although I highly doubt I'll see anything about this in there.

If i come up with anything, I will let you know

** apparently this issue happens with Sata II harddrive (which most new ones are ) **

5. AvvY

AvvY

You are running a SATAII harddrive on a nForce3 board? SATAII was only supported in the nForce4 Ultra chipset. Why would you buy a SATAII hardrive?

6. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

SATA II is the newest standard for harddrives ( so, don't have a choice )

NFORCE 3 and NFORCE 4 are basically the same

difference:
    NFORCE3 = AGP
    NFORCE4 = PCI-EX

still need to know how to get rid of the blasted icon from taskbar :eek:)
    (i don't like having to use " hide inactive icons option" either)

7. AvvY

AvvY

Actually there was much more difference than just AGP/PCI-E. SATA is backcomapdible, ie: SATAII drive>SATAI port, and vice versa. There are also heaps of SATAI drives still on the market. I just found it odd that you would buy one. There is no real benefit to justify the premium price. I am just thinking that because of this backward setup, it could be causing the problem.

8. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

well, i hear that with some SATA II and NVIDIA drivers, these drives appear to be HOTSWAPPABLE and thus, this message comes up.

anyone out there with a SATA II drive on a ViA chipset having this issue ??

9. fireball1624

fireball1624

SATA is supposed to be hot swappable like a usb hard drive...my board came with like an extender kind of thing for it so that u could hook up a SATA hdd outside of the case, so it shows the safely remove for cases like that. I don't think its a bug.

10. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

ok, we got a little off topic.

other than ' hide desktop icons ' option, is there any other way to disable this little icon ' safely remove hardware ' from appearing in the task bar ??

anyone know if this can be done through a registry hack or something ??

thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice