SATA install again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lobotech

Hi
still working on that sata thing.
maxtor HD sata 120GB
mobo soyo dragon + with sata
well, yes I know about the driver thing on a floppy,
u load it when installing OS XP, press F6 . but F6 do not work, I push the key
but windows continue loading, until it says " no drive around..." or something like it...
in my CMOS I did "on board SATA 1 & 2 enable "
"SATA mode to IDE "
why they make it so hard with SATA?
we are nice guys we do not deserve this...

crjdriver

SATA is the same as loading a raid or scsi driver during the first part of the install. There is just a few seconds when you are able to “hit the F6 key” during setup. What errors are you getting? Does setup bring up a menu showing the mass storage device that will be loaded?

As I posted the option to load the drivers is only available for a few seconds so as soon as setup loads and you get the first blue screen; start hitting the F6 key. I have loaded approx 30 boxes with raid / scsi / sata and always was given the menu as to what mass storage device to load. I have had problems with a bad floppy / not reading the driver, etc; however setup always gives the menu.

lobotech

crjdriver said:
SATA is the same as loading a raid or scsi driver during the first part of the install. There is just a few seconds when you are able to “hit the F6 key” during setup. What errors are you getting? Does setup bring up a menu showing the mass storage device that will be loaded?

As I posted the option to load the drivers is only available for a few seconds so as soon as setup loads and you get the first blue screen; start hitting the F6 key. I have loaded approx 30 boxes with raid / scsi / sata and always was given the menu as to what mass storage device to load. I have had problems with a bad floppy / not reading the driver, etc; however setup always gives the menu.

lobotech

thanks "CRJDRIVER"
I fixed the floppy thing for the SATA install.The maxtor sata 120GB works fine.
Now I try to find a way to boot from my sata and keep my ultra ata working at the same time as a slave.My only options right now are having only the sata in boot without the ata or the ata in boot with the sata as a slave.
mobo soyo dragon + with sata
athlon xp 2800
thanks again

Triple6

Rob
You don't need to have the ATA drive in the boot sequence if it has no O/S on it. The boot order is only for placing devices in sequence for booting the O/S not for which drives are setup in the computer. If you only have one hard drive then it needs to be set as Master - the Slave setting would only be for two IDE drives on the same cable; the SATA drive does not factor into Master/Slave settings.

If you're having trouble in Windows detecting the drive its because it needs to be partitioned and formated. This is done through Administrative Tools/Computer Management. However the drive needs to detected in the BIOS IDE settings - but not in the boot sequence.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online