Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA Laptop Hard Drive "Disk Read Error"

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RackNuts 
#1 ·
I have a new Gateway laptop and all last week I was using it to connect to my home pc using Remote Desktop. I noticed a few times that after shutting the lid to the laptop and walking away when I would come back and open the lid the laptop would be froozen. I wonder if it was becuase I was leaving the remote desktop connection open and then the laptop would go into sleep mode and it woudnlt wake up properly?? Either way the only way I could unfreeze it was by restarting the lapt by forcing it to power down. Well, the last time it happened after I held the power button and forced a shut down when I powered it back on it said "Disk Read Error". I have yanked the drive and connected it via usb to my dekstop pc. The drive shows up in disk management but has a red circle in the top left hand corner of the partition and doesnt' show up in my computer. I put the drive back in the laptop and booted of an XP CD and choose the "repair" option. I tried to do a "MIXMBR" but got a return message that NO partition could be found. Does anyone have any ideas how I can recover from this?? I have Acronis disk director suite installed on my desktop pc and I can reconnect my laptop hard drive to the desktop pc but I don't know if it can do the job. Does anyone have any ideas I really can't afford to loose my data. Please Help.

#2 ·
This thread can be closed as #1 the issues has been resolved and #2 it doesn't look like anyone will be repying anyways.

Now, in the case that someone does stumble onto this thread here is an update....
Turns out the hard drive was physically damaged (or so I'm told). Since there was sensitive data on the drive I was being extra cautious and after removing the drive and connecting to another pc and seeing the drive but not the partitions or data I didn't even try FixMBR or anythinhg else becuase I didn't want to take the chance of further damage. I took the drive to a data recovery specialst who was able (for a small fee ofcourse) to recover the data. Since the laptop is still under warranty I took it into the store I bought it and told them the sit. Tehy gave me a new hard drive on the spot and I have now restored it back to normal. Thank You all and goodnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.