1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA mode hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winpc, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

I have one of these motherboards

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#sp

It seems the SATA HDD and DVD ROM can either work in IDE mode or with SATA mode selected in the BIOS, the HDD can only work in RAID mode.

Is it possible to select SATA mode default and how would I do it through the BIOS ?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Most modern motherboards have at least two sata ports that can be used in RAID, (sometime they are a different color than the others, but not always) the others can be used in IDE or AHCI so review your motherboard user guide and possibly you may first need to plug your drives into different ports before you can get the selections you want.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean the hard drive drive can only work is RAID mode?

If you change modes in the BIOS then Windows may fail to boot and bluescreen/reboot. Is that what you are referring too?

Can you elaborate on what you want to do?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The choice is normally between ide and Raid where you can choose ide and then have a choice between AHCI and ide for direction so I think Cleaverx is correct you are plugged into the wrong ports. Find the lowest number port for the main hard drive usually "0" or "1" and then plug the hard drive to that and the dvd to the highest number is what I normally suggest.

5. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

I think I get the gist

I'd plugged the HDD into sata 0 and the DVD ROM into sata 1

The motherboard has sata 0,1,2 and 3 sockets so perhaps leave the HDD in sata 0 and put the DVD into sata 3 ?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are on the right track now. Just find out what numbers are the raid ports and skip them and use the lowest number for the hard drive and you will be fine.

7. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

SATA HDD in SATA 0 socket

SATA DVD in SATA 3 socket

Have investigated and found the only options for SATA in the bios are

SATA CHANNELS with options of

Disabled
    SATA 1 channel enable
    All enabled

When all enabled, the SATA devices are in IDE mode.

The other SATA option in the BIOS is

SATA RAID FUNCTION

Allows enabling or disabling the individual MASTER and SLAVE of the two channels.

Enabled, I can arrange a RAID configuration.

Disabled, the SATA devices work in ATA mode.

So it appears its either IDE mode or RAID for the SATA devices.

Is that I need to arrange SATA RAID for a single HDD ? .....if so, how ?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

A single hard drive as Raid, no such thing I know of. Use them as ide, there is little real difference you will see anyway.
    OK so also what you are saying is there are no separate raid ports on this board.

9. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Here's the motherboard manual

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#dl

For the storage interface specification, the following is stated

4 x 3Gb/s connectors supporting upto 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and JBOD

All I can say is that having gone in to the BIOS it seems its either IDE mode or RAID.

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

IDE in this case means Individual disk(s) rather than raid.
    JBOD is the same (Just a Bunch Of Disks)

11. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

ref: IDE in this case means Individual disk(s) rather than raid.

Are you saying that the IDE mode is actually SATA operation so the 1.5Gb/s HDD I have plugged in is actually in default SATA mode rather than peak 133Mb/s of ATA ?

12. Blu_86

Blu_86

Raid mode would be used only if you are "raiding" two or more drives together, or of you wish to use the trim feature. You can use your SSD in IDE mode, the difference between that mode and AHCI mode (which the nvidia 7025 boards do not have) is minimal actually.

For your board yes IDE mode is the default operational mode for one single standard SATA hard drive.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    RAID mode on the SATA controller generally implies AHCI support as well and can be used even if you only have one drive. You do not actually have to use RAID even though you set the controller to RAID mode, the mode works fine with single drives.

14. Blu_86

Blu_86

True but that motherboard does not actually support AHCI. Yeah single drive in raid will work on raid mode but it will actually be using IDE mode still - with the difference being that raid mode for raiding additional HDD's will also be available. And, trim feature will be limited if usable at all.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    TRIM should work if you use the generic Microsoft drivers and not the nVidia drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice