1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata or IDE ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GUSMAN, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi
    I have an Asus mobe with sata capabilities, however, there is and IDE hard drive connected to it at the moment. Would it be any advantage to get a sata hdd, and could I still use the IDE hdd as a slave??

Cheers

Gus

2. amphibian

amphibian

SATA controllers are faster than IDE, so if you put a windows hd on SATA it should increase your speed.

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Cheers Buddy
    So if I buy a sats hdd,could I leave the other one connected to the IDE channel or would it have to go? Or can I make it the slave with the sata set up ?
    Cheers
    Gus

4. amphibian

amphibian

Im not exactly sure about that, I have not worked with SATA drives yet.
    But, I think if you made the IDE drive slave then it should come out ok.
    Just dont quote me on that. :)

Im sure it you did a google search on setting up SATA drives you could find
    some kind of walkthrough with the configuration you are looking for.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, there won't be any speed increase from the difference between ATA-133 and SATA-150, both interfaces are faster than any currently available disk hardware. The claimed advantages of SATA are the smaller cable and someday hot-swappable drives. Buy the one that's cheaper in a given capacity and RPM rating.

6. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy gusman

I had the same dilemma/question only recently, and after some researching and general reading of various forums, I opted to stay with IDE, there will be no visible increase in speed, and after the all to frequent horror stories of setting them up, disc crashes, running incorrectly, I gave them a wide berth, I am not convinced sata is the future, the jury is still out for me. If you have no ide slots left on your motherboard, get yourself a pci ide card, the promise ones are superb.

bookime

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SATA is the future and has its advantages, but its not quite here yet. Get a nice 7200 RPM 8MB cache IDE drive and you'll get about the same performance as most SATA drives currently out, especially on the intergrated SATA controllers, and save some money.

8. slawless

slawless

I dont think the SATA would be noticably faster as described above. You can use the IDE and SATA together. they are separate interfaces. 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 array will make a noticable difference.

Steve L

9. bookime wood

bookime wood

Just the guy everybody is looking for, someone who can predict the future.

10. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Cheers for the replies guys,
    I will stay with my IDE for now then. I have no problems with it, just curious about the sata business.

Thanks

Gus

11. lobotech

lobotech

like everybody says sata HD right now is not really faster than IDE HD.( but they will improve the next generation ) However, If you decide to use the sata as well as your IDE, yes you can keep your IDE drive as a slave.( or your SATA as a slave ) Make sure that you set your BIOS correctly.
    (1) first boot.......CD
    (2) second boot...SCSI ( if you want to boot with sata HD )
    (3) third boot.......HD (0) (if you want IDE HD slave )
    or
    (1) first boot ......CD
    (2) second boot...HD(0) ( if you want to boot with IDE hd)
    (3) third boot.......SCSI ( If you want SATA HD slave )

now you can have your OS loaded in both HD and decide with which HD you want to start your day, you only have to go to BIOS before you start and switch second and third boot.( it takes only a few seconds)
    that what I do with my 2 HD and it works well.
    good day!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice