1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata power plug puzzle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reliatron, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reliatron

reliatron Thread Starter

I replaced a failed HP PSU 03057F3R with a "compatible" PSU from a supplier. There are 5 wires attached to the sata power plug for the failed PSU, but only 4 wires attached to the sata power plug for the compatible PSU. One of the 5 wires of the failed PSU is not connected to the molex plug but directly to the circuit board of the PSU.

The PC works fine with the compatible PSU and the hard drive seems to work fine with the 4-wire sata power plug which used to be connected to a 5-wire sata power plug. Should I be concerned that the use of the 4-wire sata plug will pose a safety or data problem for me?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

A standard SATA power plug is a 15 pin plug with 3 pins each for +12v, +5v, +3.3v plus 6 ground pins. +12v wires are yellow, +5v wires are red, +3.3v wires are orange and grounds are of course black.

There are normally 5 wires going to the plug 1-+12v (yellow), 1-+5v (red) 1-+3.3v (orange) and 2-ground wires (black).

What color wire is missing from your connector? If it is the orange wire (+3.3v) it is because I am not aware of any SATA device at present (hard drive, optical drive, etc) that uses a +3.3v line.

3. reliatron

reliatron Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your response.

The missing wire, which does not connect with the molex connector, is orange color. The orange wire goes from one SATA plug to another SATA plug and then to the PSU.

The five wires on the SATA plug of the defective PSU are, in sequence, yellow, black, red, black and orange. The missing wire of the compatible PSU is orange. There are orange wires to the 24 pin mother board connector from the compatible PSU. They are just not connected to the SATA plug.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Some manufacturers connect the +3.3v and some don't. As far as I know no SATA devices presently use the 3.3v line, so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. reliatron

reliatron Thread Starter

Many thanks for your prompt resonse. You have been most helpful.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice