1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hillian, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

I just built a pc and i got a sata hdd. I cant install windows xp on it for some reason.since it is a sata...do i need two of the same drives so i can create an array?

2. Colossus610

Colossus610

With that motherboard( I have a simliar motherboard by Gigabyte--the K8N Ultra SLI), you need to configure the SATA ports in the BIOS to be either RAID enabled or non-RAID(basically IDE), if you want to set a RAID array, then you need to load the drivers for the drives by pressing F6 during the WinXP setup, otherwise, if you set the BIOS to run the SATA ports as IDE, then you shouldn't need any drivers.

BTW, where in Illinois are you? If I may ask.

3. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

Central Il near Peru/Lasalle area(spring valley)bout 1hr n half from chicago

4. Colossus610

Colossus610

Hold on, I'll get ya some BIOS screeny shots, picturing what you'd need to do

Schaumburg, Illinois, NW of Chicago.

5. Colossus610

Colossus610

let me know if ya can read that ok.

[​IMG]

The yellow rectangles outline the parts you need to pay attention to, either enable or disable the RAID choices only in those rectangles depending on what you want

If you don't want any RAID array and are only using one drive as your C: drive and the other as a backup or music storage etc etc, disable all RAID choice in the yellow rectangles, and you should be good to go.

Otherwise, if you are looking to run an array, then leave them enabled in whichever configuration you have the hdd's, then you'll need to load the drivers by pressing F6 immediately after the WinXP setup starts, look for it, it'll flash by real quick, you may need to restart once or twice to get the timing down. (it'll say "Press F6 to load any SCSI/RAID drivers" or something like that)

6. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

alrite im gunna try this and hope it works...thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice