1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA to eSATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marvink9, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marvink9

Marvink9 Thread Starter

hi there i just have a few questions on connecting a SATA drive to a eSATA port. first i know that i need to get a cable to do this but what about power for the HD. the drive need to connect is one that is designed to be in side the computer case. would i need a cable that has a SATA connection on one end and a eSATA and USB connection on the other? could someone just help clear this up for me.
    thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I don't see where the enclosure CRJ linked to has the internal SATA > eSATA adapter ..
    I think :confused: this might be what your asking about .. and needing.

This Enclosure has the adapter that allows you to add a eSATA port to your computer.

You might experience a problem connecting the HDD eSATA
    The external connected eSATA must be turned on before you boot the computer to be recognized.
    If you turn the external off before the Computer .. Several reboots might be needed to fix the problem this causes.

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

Attached Files:

• S06.gif
      S06.gif
      File size:
      76.1 KB
      Views:
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I thought he wanted to connect a regular sata drive to an existing esata port.

Post exactly what you want to accomplish ie add a esata port or use an existing one, exactly what drive you are going to use, etc.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I'm sure you read the initial post correctly. The Thermaltake housing (or a Vantech) would be a the preferred solution for long term use. All of my experiences with Rosewill products have been bad, and I would never buy any of their stuff.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've built a couple of Externals using the Rosewill .. And I've had no problems with any of my Rosewill products.
    Here's another version of the same basic enclosure, different Mfg ... But it doesn't have the internal Adapter included.

I think I'd opt for one of these because they have a large cooling fan ..
    That will be quieter and enable the use of the Better HDDs .. (The WD Black series with a 5 year warranty) ..
    that tend to run hotter.

7. jonuck

jonuck

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but there seems to still so much confusion about the use of Sata drive use, especially the ever increasing use of External HDD! with multi method of interface! ... with some of the older boards (775) it is a very frustrating exercise to try and make some External Drives Hotswap using an eSata interface and most settle for a USB method..

I have recently had to come to this decision with my Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Board! .. one of the last of the 775's and an exellent M/B and allows for full use of Sata2 appliances and limited RAID config and if one wants to use an External Sata Drive there is a Sata port on the I/O panel controled by a JMicron jmb36x chip that allows for full HotPlugging with your BIOS set to AHCI! ... but therein lies the problem there is only one and if you want use two External drives you have to fit a rear monut extension bracket and come of one of the Sata headers on the M/B controlled by the ICH10R and as of yet I have been unable to find a way to make this HotPlug since the design intent is for these headers to load the drivers on Boot and if you switch off the drive before the system then you are in for tissy fit with the system.

If any one has a remedy or a suggestion (Apart from use USB) I would be most appreciative............ :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice