1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sata to pata adapters/bridges ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t bone, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

hi
    i want to get an adapter to use a sata hd on one of my older pata/ide computers
    i've looked around a bit but thought i'd see if anyone has some experiences with them or recommendations before i get one....what to look for/what to avoid, good ones bad ones etc.
    thanks

2. saikee

saikee

Get a Sata controller for a spare PCI slot is better. That way you get the speed from the Sata.

Sata to IDE bridge does exist but you only force a Sata disk to run at the IDE speed (maximum 133MB/s). Sata I started life at 150MB/s, Sata II does 300MB/s and the current Sata III can do 600MB/s.

If you run an internal Sata hard disk using an IDE adaptor you might as well use it externally as a USB3 disk by buying a USB3 PCI adaptor.

3. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

thanks for the tip, i'll check em out
    any recommendations on a good one that won't break the bank?

4. saikee

saikee

You will find those Sata III controller sold at Amazon among the cheapest you can find. What you need is to check out what kind of PCI slots you got in the PC. Luckily most just need the basic PCIe 1x although the newest is PCIe 16x.

Apart from the twin ports Sata III controller that everyone offers you can some boards that offer eSata connection, normally at the expense of not using one of the port or both. A better one is those that come with additional USB3 facilities which are downward cpmatible with USB2/1.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice