1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA vs. EIDE HDrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbaasit, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

Hi can you tell me if there is a big performance difference between:

WD1200JB-00GVC0 EIDE 120 GB and

Seagate 7200.7 SATA 160GB

Also, it has been previously mentioned that I cold take the old HD (WD) and run win XP' repair install on my other PC. Am I correct in this? Will I be able to make the HD already formatted c/w some various programs, but resident on my older PC, will this repair / install make this HD bootable on the newer PC?

I have a bunch of software on my EIDE HD, that I would love to keep. I was thinking to buy a new m/bd 2gb ram and E5200 cpu, any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends on a lot of things. Was the original an OEM version that came with the machine? If it has been customized by the manufacturer, it is not going to run on a different machine, and it's illegal to try. But if you have the full version, you can move it to another machine and if it is on only one machine, you can get it activated easily, probably over the phone.

It's possible that a repair installation will make it work on another machine. This doesn't always work, but the chances are better if you ininstall all the drivers you can before shutting it down for the last time (machine- and hardware-specific drivers).

SATA may get you 150-300 mbps and IDE maybe 100-133 mbps speeds. The overall performance difference in machine operation may be 5-10%.

3. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

The software did come bundled with the PC at purchase. I was going to contact Microsoft and ask. Sounds like a good idea about the uninstall the drivers etc. However, now that I have basically killed the m/board, I can't really accomplish that!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've never uninstalled the drivers. Theoretically, it should help.

If the software was not a full Microsoft version, then the manufacturer owns all the product keys and not only will a customized version probably not install on the other machine, the product key and activation would fail to work. Microsoft can't really do anything about the series of product keys that belong to the manufacturers.

But, it is not impossible since there are different setups. What do your CD's look like and what do they say on them?

Unfortunately, if it is a full OEM installation, even if you replaced the board on the original machine, you still could not use the copy of Windows unless it was an identical board provided by the manufacturer.

You're pretty much stuck when you get the OS from the manufacturers. They own the rights to it and you can't use it again. That's one good reason to buy a machine with no OS and install your own.

You may need to buy a new copy for the new machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice