SATA With IDE Cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Space Cowboy

Ok .. so you can use a SATA hard drive hooked up with a IDE cable. Is there some sort of convertor or do you still use a IDE connector on the other end and plug it into your primary or secondary IDE connectors?

The reson I'm asking is I have a IDE swap drive enclosure and am wondering if I can use it with a SATA hard drive and have it be hot swapable?

Thanks

I don't think it will be hot swappable unless the original one was (most IDE drive cages are not).

Your right about it needing a converter as what you need is a small board that has a SATA plug on one side and a power/IDE connector on the other side. The main issue I am seeing here is this board isn't the smallest thing and may not fit inside the plastic casing designated to hold the HDD, besides it not making it hot-swap by being SATA.

Rukee

Banned
as far as I know, in order to use a SATA drive, you either have to have SATA connecters on the motherboard, or have a PCI add in card that you plug it into and that will control the SATA drives. You can`t hook them up to a regular IDE cable, Unless someone knows something I don`t.

Rukee

Banned
Hey SC, I clicked on your sig link to the specs of your rig, I notice you have 4 1gig sticks of memory.
I wonder if you knew that 4 sticks forces them all to run at a slower speed of 333mhz instead of the 400 it should be, also it forces the 2T command rate.
You`re the first person I`ve seen running 4 1gig sticks. I would be interested in seeing some Sandra bandwidth benchmarks comparing bandwidth between 4 1gig sticks @ 333mhz and 2 sticks running @ 400MHz along with a couple Futuremark benchs.
Think you`d want to rip off a few benchs for me?? If the performance is not that much of a drop, I might consider another kit, but was always told the extra 2 sticks kill bandwidth.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is no adapter that I'm aware of to go from a IDE controller to a SATA drive. I have one that goes the other way, SATA controller to IDE drive.

I think the hot-swap idea is not ready for prime time with current O/S support for SATA. :)

Space Cowboy

Rukee said:
Hey SC, I clicked on your sig link to the specs of your rig, I notice you have 4 1gig sticks of memory.
I wonder if you knew that 4 sticks forces them all to run at a slower speed of 333mhz instead of the 400 it should be, also it forces the 2T command rate.
You`re the first person I`ve seen running 4 1gig sticks. I would be interested in seeing some Sandra bandwidth benchmarks comparing bandwidth between 4 1gig sticks @ 333mhz and 2 sticks running @ 400MHz along with a couple Futuremark benchs.
Think you`d want to rip off a few benchs for me?? If the performance is not that much of a drop, I might consider another kit, but was always told the extra 2 sticks kill bandwidth.
Sure I'll run some benchmarks but I won't install any software.

Links?

I was going to pick up one of these but the rebate ($60.00) is only good for the 26th (yesterday) :(

Anyone no away to get around this or someone at outpost that will back date the order?

Thanks

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4596277#rebate

Attachments

Rukee

Banned
GURU3D has all the benchmark programs.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/
Sandra and Futuremark 3DMARK03 and 05 would be the three I`d be interested in seeing the diffrences in. Not sure how your going to do it if you don`t wanna install anything though, kinda need to install them to run them. :(

Space Cowboy

I've run PC Pitstop and it see's no differance.

It can't go any higher I don't think?

But I'm ready for Vista and got a screamin deal on the ram.

Rukee

Banned
you know, I don`t think that tests the actual bandwidth of the memory, only reports what the SPD of the sticks say it`s rated at.

Rukee

Banned
I just ran a few benchs at both 200mhz 1T(what 2 sticks run at), and 166mhz 2T(showed up as 160Mhz{what 4 sticks run at}) and the difference is huge!! Unless you have a real reason for running 4gigs, you may be slowing your system down quite a bit. Here is a Sandra bandwidth benchmark and a 1M Superpi run which is totally CPU and memory intense, and you can see a real difference in the #s, which will translate directly to games and apps, unless, like I said, you do CAD work or something which requires that much RAM.
200MHz
166mhz

Space Cowboy

PC Pitstop say's almost identical for either or?

Test Score =1879 for 2 gig
Test Score =1862 for 4 gig

Personally I don't notice a differance? Maybe I'll put these two extra 2 month old sticks of Ram up for sale?

I dunno .. Like I said I got a good deal.:confused:

Attachments

Rukee

Banned
1879MB/s is crawling, an old socket a system would do better, that can`t be right for bandwidth.

Space Cowboy

Well what would you suggest? I tried it with 2 gig and also 4 gig and the numbers were just about the same.

Tweak the BIOS maybe?

Rukee

Banned
Your not running a true test to see what the bandwidth actually is. I would get CPU-z, that will tell you the speed and timings of the sticks, and then I would run some Sandra memory bandwith benchs to see what the bandwidth really is. Do thew Sandra with 2 and 4 sticks and look for the diffrence in bandwidth.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online