1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA150... err i need a little help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonny p, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Ive bought a SATA 150 Maxtor 120GB drive.It turned up with no instructions.Now i just about had it figured for installing a UDMA 133 board but i thought no, ill be clever, my m/board supports sata 150, so ill get a sata150 .(MSI K7n2GILSR incidentally)Now im starting to regret it.THeres another another whole manual with my mboard called 'Serial ATA Raid' which is gruesome reading and makes me feel ill.Also theres a diskette called SATA Raid.I know about bootable diskettes and formatting etc(well i know of it and i was going to give it a whirl) What i dont know is all this RAID stuff.Well I do know what it is but it looks like real bad news.Please tell me I dont need any of this to install my lovely new shiny drive.If i dont need it,please could anyone advise me the differences in the installation procedure betweenSATA 150 and UDMA 133.If I do need RAID drivers,diskettes,setting up arrays please give me the worst and well ill just shoot myself
    Windows Me
    Athlon xp+2500
    MSI K7N2Gilsr
    512 mb crucial pc2700 ddr
    sad onboard graphics..not for long i hope
    existing udma 133 20 gb hdisk

Oh, i want to lose the old drive and start afresh with just one drive.Any advice welcome

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

MSI doesn't make their manuals easy to download, and worse don't seem to have your specific manal handy at the moment.

SATA is still rather new and has some "growing pains", my SATA controller is de-activated. :)

1st, it appears your mobo doesn't include SATA cables (ASUS includes it with theirs) so you'll need these if you didn't pick some up... along with a power adaptor if needed, many of todays SATA drives include support for both power types.

Read your manal twice, ignore the RAID manual for now if possible. Check the section in the BIOS for boot choices.

You should be able to choose:
    IDE
    SATA
    CD-ROM
    ZIP
    Floppy
    etc

For your boot choices... set it to SATA, plug your drive in. Boot up with your WindowsXP CD-ROM and it should work.

I've never set up an SATA drive, but its usually this simple - even when setting up on on-board RAID.

I've looked at the the manaul just now... There is no selection to specify SATA boot. But HOPEFULLY, the system will (and should) see the SATA drive attached to the motherboard. As I've seen on your manal - it SAYS almost nothing about it. And the RAID manal is not available for download. But we're not interested in RAID.

So, try to hook it up like a normal drive... SATA data cable and see if BIOS SEES the drive and WindowsXP boot CD-ROM sees the drive.

If not... return the drive, and exchange it for a regualr ATA-133 drive. The only real benifit of SATA for now is smaller cables, not faster performance.

3. active95

active95

Basically when it comes to SATA it's pretty much the same as a normal ATA..
    Get into the BIOS and under Advance chipset options ( if i'm not mistaken ) will see a "Enable SATA ". Make that On. Save and exit from BIOS.
    Power down, hook up the drive to the SATA connector, power up.
    Now after the inital screen " RAM count, DMI info etc.." will see a setup SATA screnn and ( again if my memory serves me right ) pressing Ctrl+G will get you in the SATA setup routine. Here you can modify/check the settings with the SATA controller.
    Once everything look ok and the drive is "seen" by SATA controller, restart , pop XP's cd rom disk and boot up ( of course make sure that the first device to boot from is CD ROM). Once windoze setup routine starts, will see a " If you are installing RAID........" press F6.
    So press that F6 key. Windoze will do some other stuff and after that will ask you to " insert floppy disk for 3rd party RAID.......". Take that floppy disk that came with SATA and let windoze install the driver for it.
    After that , just let windoze finish up the setup and once you are in the desktop, get to the MSI and d/l the lastest SATA driver for XP.
    Install that and enjoy
    HTH

4. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Thanks compilerxp and to active95 thats brilliant and a big relief!I had 2 sata cables supplied with the m/board.So i'll follow your procedures and see what happens.Ill post the result...maybe a day or two, pc will be offline during surgery....cheers

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Please do... I would like to know how it goes. I hope its EASY...

Active95 : Thats one of the BOnE-HEAD things of M$ and WinXP... "Insert floppy for RAID controller". What about a CD-ROM, or USB memory card? Some RAID drivers may not FIT on a floppy... or perhaps the COMPUTER doesn't have a FLOPPY! :(

6. active95

active95

compilerxp...i hear yea brother.... :D

7. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

oh just one more thing before i dive in....I read somewhere new discs are formatted in the factory...should this mean I don't have to format my new drive since its never had an OS on it before?And likewise since I'm only having one primary partition do I need to use fdisk?Well when I say one 'primary partition' i assume blank disk plus Windows constitutes a partition...maybe I dont need a partition at all?All the stuff i can find in books is about reinstalling windows over an existing installation and/or creating /deleting existing partitions.Mabe i can just boot from the boot disc,load Windows from cd-rom and thats it?
    What do you guys recommend on the subject?I want to eliminate too many variables so if it don't work I know whether it was the bios, the SATA or 'me' that was at fault!
    (I'm using Windows Me)

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Dude... just plug in the drive, insert your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, and boot up the CD-ROM. If your board sees the HD, there is a good chance WindowsXP will see the HD.

WindowsXP will Format the drive for you. You should create partitions, but Windows Xp tends to screw this up.

If you don't play games (or many games) create 2 partitions... perhaps a 20GB and the rest. if you plan to play a lot of games, then:
    20GB - main
    40GB - Games
    60GB - Data

Install all games to the 2nd parition.

Partitions also you to make a backup of data, etc... lets say a worm says "reformat C: drive". Choose NTFS

*ALL* new Hard-drives require you to set them up, create partition space (1 or more) before you can format. Drives are tested at the factory... but they don't know what youre going to do to the drive. Now, perhaps getting a drive from Dell or HP maybe formatted for you so you can stick it in their machines.

FDISK is a Windows9x thing... not XP. What version of Windows are you planning to use? if WindowsME, you would use a boot floppy (if the CD is non bootable... go figure on that one) to FDISK and format the the drive.

Which case after you formated the drive, you should copy the WindowsMe OS folder to the drive (WinMe) to something like :C/WinMe (use the MD command. "MD WinMe" Then go to the CD-ROM drive, and then go into the WinME directory "CD WinME" and then copy the contents over "copy *.* c:/winme"

Then go back to C Drive "C:"
    And go into the WinME directory "cd winme" and type in SETUP.

9. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Ok compilerxp thanks for all that. Im using Windows Me.Im going to stick with it all though I know XP is preferred I cant afford it just yet.So yes I will use the boot floppy, fdisk from floppy,format,then setup from windows CD-rom....I get what you say about copying the whole Windows Me folder over but to keep it simple i'll just do it from the CD this time,as I have that bit well documented.Thanks for putting me right on partitioning/format, I guess you can read up on things a little too much and make life harder for yourself!

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

I've given you pretty much the steps for doing it off the HD. It takes about 3 minutes to xfer the setup directory over to the hard drive... Windows Will install in about 5 minutes if you do it that way and YOU don't get those stupid "INSERT YOUR WINDOWS CD-ROM PLEASE" messages.

So boot with flooppy. Type in FDISK...

Create your primary (Set the size as stated above or whatever), then create extended partitions... then reboot with floppy. Then format the partitions with the FORMAT command.

note: with WindowsME, I'd do an 8GB max partition for C: Drive - and store your DATA and games on another drive... more efficent use of space and Windows.

11. active95

active95

Not stepping on anyones toes, but afaik winME doesn't have the fdisk option. Only give the option to a Safe Mode or Command prompt (and at this point there isn't any format or fdisk ). Again AFAIK

12. compilerxp

compilerxp

er....

okay... I dug up my WindowsME Dusty CD-ROM case with boot floppy (ME Full Retail version).

I looked at the floppy contents, it contains the FDISK tool... With Safe Mode and Command prompt. Click on command prompt to gain access to the Comand Line Interface (CLI)

WindowsXP Doesn't have an FDISK command, but a crumblesome installer.

13. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Hi folks back again at last with results of surgery.Well I took out old hard drive put in new SATA 150.Hurray motherboard detected drive straight away but prompted me to define an array there and then.So I did using the Serial Ata Raid quick users guide,basically just clicked 'yes' to having a striped array consisting of just one drive.Didnt need to use the RAID floppy.
    So far so good.Then I used FDISK and created a primary MSDOS logical partition consisting of the whole drive.No probs .Again sighs of relief.

BUT.Tales of woe from hereon in.Went to format drive.Typed A:\>format C: /S, got message'Microsoft Windows no longer supports the format /s command.To create a start up disk click the add remove programs in control panel.Format terminated.'
    But Im already booting from a startup disc so whats that all about?So I tried another startup disc, one i had downloaded.Same message!What gives?
    Thinking maybe just maybe my windows me CD rom might do the formatting for me if I tried to install windows iput the Windows Me Disc in and typed setup.Got this message
    'Invalid media type reading drive C'.-I guess this means its not formatted.
    ALSO i appear to have too many drives.C is the hard drive, A is the floppy, E is my CD ROM ,F i think is my rewriter and it referred to D,saying 'Your diagnostic tools were succesfully loaded to drive d'Oh dear .Now what do I do?The shiny new drive is currently back in the box and the dusty old, but working ,one is back in the computer.Help.....please!

14. active95

active95

So i guess you're trying to install windows ME.....
    If that's the case , then just use the startup disk to do a format c: then put the windows Me cd rom disk and follow the setup routine...
    HTH

15. brite750

brite750

With 98se you just type format c: not that /s stuff, try that. Are you sure format is on you startup disk?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice