1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata2 hdd prob....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuck, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

Ive a Samsung 250gb sata2 drive that had windows xp on it, upon reformatting and trying to reinstall on sata2 mode the winxp setup cd does not recognise it. Infact when set to ide mode in bios it recognises it but does not create for it an ntfs partition, instead it comes up in raw format.

Is there anything i am doing thats incorrect ? Ive created a sata floppy drive that im trying to use but to no avail.

Assistance is appreciated.

Stuck

2. attakorn

attakorn

What mainboard do you use? I'm using the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and I had a similar problem. I have a WD3200KS (320GB SATAII). I used PartitionMagic before installing Windows and everything was fine. But when I was in Windows Setup, the setup couldn't recognise the partitions correctly and it was RAW (like you said).

Possible solution:
    Get your MB RAID driver onto a floppy disk. Change your mainboard to RAID mode (if 965P-DS3, plug your HD into the Gigabyte yellow SATA slots then choose mode to RAID/IDE, leave everything else as default) and when you install windows, press F6 and install the RAID driver (if 965P-DS3 choose the top-most option out of the four).

Somehow, on the DS3, the Intel purple SATA slots can't cope with big SATA drives properly. I'm not sure if it's to do with the size or whether it's to do with SATAI and SATAII. I have another WD 120GB PATA drive and I used a IDE-SATAI converter to plug it in to my Intel purple SATA slot and it worked fine.

Hope this helps!

3. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

Mine is an asrock dual-vsta 939 board. i had it in ide mode when i first installed it and it installed winxp fine. Only now its not recognising it after reformatting the hdd. Its in the sata2 port (theres only one sata2 port) but in bios ive changed mode from ide to sata, created the sata2 floppy disk, pressed f6, selected the raid driver for 32bit winxp and its not happening.

4. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

Tried setting it in raid mode and in sata2 mode in mb, removed ide data cables from other non sata drives and entered winxp setup. Screen came up saying it did not detect any hard drives!.

Pressed f6, selected raid/32bit winxp and the above message came up (after setting bios to raid from non raid).

Now what ??

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you setting it into RAID mode with one drive? You need to disable the RAID functionality.

6. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

trying to get windows to install on a sata drive in sata2 mode. Its not happening as setup does not detect any hdd. Any other method i could try to get it to install ?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your MB doesn't handle SATA 3.0ghz transfers properly, you may have to install the jumper to limit the interface speed to 1.5ghz. This won't have any measurable impact on performance.

And disable RAID mode, you won't get anywhere with that enabled.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well having had so many new Seagates fail out of the box recently, and I agree raid with one drive makes little sense, however tried coprrectly before with floppy and f6 sounds more like another Seagate sata is interstellar and needs to be rma'd to mfgr. Was this drive a really great price? (I am starting to get paranoid about great Seagate sata2 drive prices)

9. attakorn

attakorn

JohnWill, the reason I told 'stuck' to use RAID is not because I'm just guessing, it actually worked for me. I know RAID is for multiple drives but SOMEHOW for SOME REASON, it happens to work for me. Even Gigabyte support didn't have a solution.

Now back to the topic, what did you use to reformat your harddrive? Is there any other options than the RAID driver for the F6 menu? Maybe you just need to install the SATA driver not RAID for your board.....not sure.

10. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

Tried raid setting in bios but no luck, tried sata2 setting in bios but no luck. Tried yet again with f6 to install sata driver but no luck.

The sata drive is already formatted in ntfs but win setup does not see it. Thats the main problem. To see the hdd in sata2 mode and to install winxp. At moment despite trying different settings its not working. I can use it as a data drive but nothing else.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

Zero fill the drive and start over. Use something like Darin's Boot & Nuke.

Don't hit F6 on the windows install. You don't need a 3rd party driver. SATA's are native.

12. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

darin's boot and nuke ? what does that do and is there a download for it ?

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

www.ultimatebootcd.com

Dowload the basic version of the Ultimate boot cd. You have burn a BOOTABLE CD with Nero or BurnCDCC or something like that.

Set your boot options to CDROM first, and look through the disc to find the utility you need.

What it does is completely empty the hard drive--sets it to all zeros.

Before you boot n nuke, clear your CMOS too--remove the battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes.

This way you're starting over fresh.

14. stuck

stuck Thread Starter

I didnt download the software but installed winxp under sata instead of sata2 and works ok now. i cant see no speed difference if there is any under sata as apposed to ide. Anyone agree or is there something missing ?

15. attakorn

attakorn

i would agree sata and sata2 is not a hugh difference if not none. I guess your problem may be because of your mainboard's SATA is not properly configured or something....any updates? or try with another mainboard....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice