1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sata3 ssd or sata 3 velociraptor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blittzin, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks in advance to anybody who takes time to help me as I know almost nothing about ssd's. I hate to post another ssd or hard drive question, but so many people like and use both. I am building around a gigabyte sata 3 compatible board. I only use just over 100 gigs on my pc that has everything loaded onto 1 sata 2 500gb hd. I'm looking for better gaming performance especially racing and first person shooter games. I'm not that concerned with how fast windows loads really, as much as I would like to be able to switch guns faster and anything else that would speed up gaming. The technical aspects are above my level. Read and write time etc.... ram and where data is store, things like that. When I'm facing an opponent some people can switch and draw their weapons much faster and I know this much my 7200 rpm wd hard drive is my achilles heel. Can anyone tell me what would be better for gaming, a 120 or 180 gig ssd or a single 150 gig velociraptor. Program loading doesn't matter gaming performance is my only objective. I can get by with a single drive but I don't know which one will deliver and remove the bottleneck that my average hard drive is causing. I only plan to use 1 drive as this will be a gaming-only rig. Also, after figuring out which is better will it still hurt performance if I keep os, programs,and games on just a single drive. I'm pretty much gonna have the os, a couple of games, and antivirus and other small programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm over my head and I've read so much that I'm actually more confused and apprehensive about which one to buy. They are both kind of expensive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For gaming the hard drive or SSD only has an effect when loading the game or doing saves. Beyond that it has no real impact. For faster game play you need a powerful graphics card, a fast CPU, and lots of RAM.

3. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi again you're a good dude to help me so much. I'm using a fx4100 gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 dual evga gtx 460 supersuperclocked, 8 gigs of ddr3 1866 corsair ram but I was really noticing guys being really fast drawing or switching weapons. I read alot about hard drive bottlenecking. I should be at least close but some of the players pull their weps out and I'm dead before I can switch guns it's frustrating. Do you think theres any advantage to either of the two drives. I'm over my head read/write and seek times etc...... Thank you again.

4. gberger

gberger

You probably don't want to hear this, but your weak point might just be your CPU.

5. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

You could be right but most games only access two cores or 4 the rig I'm on now has an e8500 and it's warrock a still-on directx 9 game. I don't know bud I think this cpu on that game should be pretty good it's by far no crysis2. Maybe you can help me understand why it could be cpu. I already bought the bulldozer. Thanks for you help too.

6. gberger

gberger

I'm not saying your CPU is inadequate, just responding to your comment that other players systems are noticeably faster than yours. Core 2 Duo is not nearly as fast as the newer CPUs such as i7. This might be a factor. But this is only a suggestion, not meant to be a definitive answer.

7. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Could be. The pc I'm on now is only a core 2duo, no L3 cache hurts me I'm sure but eight cores on a game that only accesses two there might be a slight advantage. I still think it's hard drive bottleneck or they have gaming keyboards two areas where I'm sorely at a disadvantage. Have a good x-mas.

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Your aren't really going to get much boost overall in gaming with either a SSD or the Velociraptor. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Velociraptor with someone else's money. If you want a detailed look at how SSD performance affects performance in some specific games (because you can't generalize) try http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991.html.

I seriously don't believe drive performance is a bottleneck for you at all, and that isn't where I'd spend my cash.

9. gberger

gberger

I don't think it's necessarily how many cores are being used as much as how fast those cores are.
    It would be interesting if you could find out what these other players are running.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice