1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

satalite internet question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fordboy460, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fordboy460

Fordboy460 Thread Starter

I wanted to get satalite internet, because my phone line sucks! I just wanted to know, can more than 1 computer use the internet at the same time because I have my own computer, and then the rest of the family has a computer and they're always complaing how I am always on the internet. Thank you for your time.

2. buzzrdly1

buzzrdly1

I am (was) in the same boat as you. I live in the sticks and the phone connection was terrible - 21.6k tops.

What you need is A) a local area network with your computers connected to it, and B) a proxy program running on the host computer (presumably yours) to allow the other LAN PCs to share the connection.

I have been pleased with the Network-in-a-Box products from Linksys. For $80 or so you get a 5-port hub, 2 network cards, and the wiring to connect them. Instructions are easy to follow. This takes care of requirement A.

Win98 provides for requirement B with a program called Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), which you install on the host machine. You will have to read the help files on this one, since I use another proxy program.

We considered satellite service before we stumbled in to a better deal with a local provider of fixed wireless internet access. Before that we were going to go with Starband as a satellite provider. I have a friend who used Starband and is very happy with it.

If you go this route, be sure to install a firewall. A good free one is available at www.zonelabs.com

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Lou

3. angel

angel

As buzzrdly1 stated, the answer to your question is YES.
    I found it's a lot trickier than DSL/Cable however. buzzrdly1's description of what to do is correct.
    Normally, I would recommend the modem plug directly into a router for convenience and security reasons as opposed to having 2 NICs in one of your computers, but that's the tricky part. I've only dealt with Starband and because of the acceleration software that is required with their new modem, that's not possible. The modem must be physically plugged into a computer with the software installed. So the modem goes to one NIC and the other is used to connect the computer to the network. If you will only have 2 computers, you could connect them directly with a crossover cable but if you plan on having more than two, you'll need a hub.
    In addition, Starband doesn't support (ICS) Internet Connection Sharing. They recommend Winproxy. That's not to say that ICS won't work but I had nothing but probs with it. We could get the ICS working but then the acceleration thing wouldn't work so the speed was comparable to dial-up, if not worse. I finally gave up and just installed Winproxy and it worked immediately. Starband and Winproxy have a deal where they promote it. Because of that, they recommend it. Not sure if they did something to their software to cause probs with other proxy programs or not. But, like I said, that doesn't mean it won't work, just that I was sick of going around in circles trying to get it to work when Winproxy works flawlessly.
    And, yes, you definitely want ZoneAlarm installed!

Sorry that was so long - that really wasn't my intention!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice