1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Satellite Broadband

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biddlesby, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Because I live in a rural area (which is three miles away from the exchange) I can't get broadband. My exchange is being updated 12th May for broadband but I fear that because of the long distance between me and the exchange BT won't offer me a broadband service. Which is annoying as I would like to play multiplayer games.

However, I'm looking into the possibility of satellite (I realise that upload speeds would be terrible so I couldn't really play games). Can anybody comment on the......credibility of this site.

2. barfly

barfly

Acacia
    Check out this :)

BT to stretch reach of ADSL broadband
    By Dinah Greek

People living up to and beyond 10km from local telephone exchanges may be able to get broadband if trials run by BT are successful.

Beginning on 1 June in Milton Keynes, BT will attempt to extend ADSL coverage to areas that the technology has not been able to reach before.

ADSL coverage has been limited to around 6km from exchanges because the technology has not - until now - been considered robust enough for longer distances.

BT said no additional technologies were being used because its research indicates that it is possible to get a 500Kbps ADSL service further than 6km.

Milton Keynes was chosen for the trial because it has the highest percentage of people in a UK city or town living just beyond the 6km boundaries of local exchanges.

But the telco also hopes to extend the trial to include a remote rural area to see if ADSL can be pushed to 10km.

Users will be asked to log the quality of service they receive so that BT can ascertain if the infrastructure can support broadband services.

Internet service providers are being invited to take part in the trials which, if successful, could enable BT to roll out ADSL to a million more users throughout the UK and push coverage from 96 per cent of homes and businesses to over 99 per cent.

"We estimate this would only leave around half a million people unable to get fixed ADSL coverage," said a BT spokesman.

But the telco warned that not all lines would work and that problems could be experienced as the range extends. It said the wide range of lines tested would allow it to know if a reliable broadband service could be delivered to many more people.

Alison Ritchie, BT chief broadband officer, said in a statement: "BT's drive to increase availability of broadband has many fronts and this latest development shows we haven't stopped pushing the boundaries."

If the trials are successful, BT Wholesale intends to launch longer-reach broadband services later this year. People with 01908 numbers in the Milton Keynes area who are interested in being involved in the trial can register here.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040421/175/erm5p.html

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Man that's alot of typing!!!! :)
    It was like reading a Steven King novel!
    Good info!

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

OH....you copied and pasted

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Satellite internet is a no go for gaming, the pings are extremely high. The upload speeds depend on wether you go with a dial-up line or two-way satellite service. Another thing is that satellite is expensive for even the basic service and affected by bad weather.

You may want to check to see if you can get cable sevice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice