satellite radio

juantamad

i've done research on xm and sirius and trying to decide what to get.:confused:
read all the pitfalls I can.I need real world experience from current subcribers.
anyone?

jt

Here's my 2 cents worth ...

I have never tried sirius ...

I have XM currently and love it. for me, the decision came down to sports programming. I wanted Major League Baseball and NHL Hockey, which are on XM. I like Nascar too, but that is switching to Sirius in a few years i think. But i can always get the races on FM radio.

If you listen to any of the talk radio / news stations, you will get commercials on XM. Therefore, i suggest you get a receiver with some built in memory. My receiver has 30 minutes of memory, so when i get in the car and run to the store (for example), i hit the "pause" button when i get to the store, and leave the receiver on (the car is off). Then, when i get back in the car, i pick up listening where i left off, and can fast forward thru any commercials. Very cool.

The music stations don't really have many commercials, but the same principle applies for skipping songs you don't want to hear.

I have a Delphi SkyFI 2 receiver. Installed it in my truck myself.

Tom

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
I have XM as well....the MLB was an added bonus. I've had no problems and have been quite happy with the variety and service (y)

juantamad

my buddies all have xm and are happy with it.
what I'm after is jazz and 60's/70's rock and both seem to have a good menu
as for talk radio - well that's not an issue..I get enough garbage on TV and free radio
so I'm moving to satellite to escape commercials.
my worry is that I'm out in the desert and may need a roof antennae b/c there may not be enough repeaters nearby to get table-top reception.I'm looking at both truck and home set-up

also Sirius has a better sports menu for my taste (nba,nfl) but these contracts don't last long.It will also have Howard Stern and a lot of people are looking to hear that first "F" word.

jt

I hope XM is the right choice. I am having one installed in my wife's CRV this week. The CRV came prewired with the roof mounted antenna installed but still ends up being kind of pricey. I didn't want something hanging off the dash and wanted to keep the original 6 disc radio so I had to pay their price.

One thing I read somewhere was to use a roof mounted antenna(small black one) for better reception.

I too have XM, for the past 9 months or so. Really like the variety, but at times gets frustrating 'chasing' a particular song/group/genre of music around the multiple channels. For example, Rush or Allman Bros. might be on this channel one minute, and then on another a few moments later too. Or, one song, say from Aerosmith, might be on that channel, and then sometime later on another channel. Guess what trying to say that its hard to determine what 'style' of music is really going to be playing on that channel or this one; even tho' they are supposed to be different. Maybe they just claim to have 'x' amount of channels to be more than the competition... ;) I've the Delphi MyFi, portable unit, w/ the small black roof-mounted antenna. Reception is great, except when near very tall buildings, at traffic light near a semi, or in the valleys under mountains. To my knowledge there is no land-based repeaters, just sat feeds. The comedy stations are good, the news feeds are sufficient, and the coverage for baseball and hockey are likewise good. One thing that I like about the MiFi is that I hook it up to the stereo in the house too. :)

Just to elaborate a bit on the reception ... i think the further south you get, the less chance of buildings / hills / valleys interfering with reception. i have a friend who lives in Maine, and he gets more interference from hills, etc.

i live in North Carolina, and the only time i've ever lost reception is driving thru tunnels in West Virginia on I-77.

Tom

Regarding the reception, yes kinda like sat TV, the further north [or south] ya go from the equator, the more issues you will have. Like up here in NE hoosier land, a water tower by my work will spiff my reception when I'm driving by, as will a semi if next to at a red light. The mountains/hills of TN, AL, and GA many many too durn many times will also interfere. At this occasions, the CD player spins. ;) Whats interesting, is that when parking in the garage at the house up here, I can still get reception, even when the door is down - and its facing due West. Go figure. :confused: :)

If interested in XM, I do know that you can get some pretty good deals, esp. if ya talk w/ a GM car dealer too... as they can help ya get first 3 months free... ;)

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
FYI Hobbers ~ what you are experiencing with the semi stems from the wattage of CB radio the truck has...and that your unit must accept such interferrence -- with a high enough wattage CB, the trucker could kill an old VW bug :eek: :D ;)

I think having a receiver with built in memory helps prevent signal interuptions too ... as it can buffer more of the incoming signal.

TL

Ciberblade said:
FYI Hobbers ~ what you are experiencing with the semi stems from the wattage of CB radio the truck has...and that your unit must accept such interferrence -- with a high enough wattage CB, the trucker could kill an old VW bug :eek: :D ;)
Hmmm... interesting. Hadn't thought about that in regards to the XM [altho' recall hearing crud when listening to AM especially, and FM sometimes]. But, this situation that I spoke of earlier is only when I'm on the north side of them, waiting for light to change on a divided highway near here, for example. Not discounting what you are saying, but think the problem I'm describing may be more due to the trailer blocking the signal. :)

juantamad

regarding car antennae installation,does it realy matter if it's on the roof,or on the trunk lid?
It'll be easier to run a wire to the trunk lid alone

I've polled 10 of my cousins from around the States and 8 of 10 chose xm.The younger (Gen X) types seem to favor sirius

jt

juantamad said:
regarding car antennae installation,does it realy matter if it's on the roof,or on the trunk lid?
It'll be easier to run a wire to the trunk lid alone
Probably not a whole lot but most of them I have seen are factory installed and on the back most spot on the roof. If mine wasn't prewired I would probably go for the easiest way.

useeman

Banned
I have Sirius and it too is very good, plenty of ad free stations to chose from, good reception, and neat radios to chose from (I have a Palm Pilot style radio, and for those who want a recharchable battery powered radio they have one shaped and looking like a iPod which you can get)

I've got delphi xt roadie for xm- best unit I've ever had....antenna mounted on trunk lid - no problemo.
home unit - a breeze to use,reception good indoors- better if near a window .I could go all out and put an outdoor rig but why bother?
I've had XM for 2 yrs now - no complaints - (y)

jcroix2002:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online