1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save and print document in Helvetica 9.5 without re-formatting

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TimeToWakeUp, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimeToWakeUp

TimeToWakeUp Thread Starter

I desperately need to replicate an already printed document in EXACTLY the same font style and size it was printed in.

I scanned and then saved this document as a PDF and then opened it in a program I found recommended for analyzing font and font size in a given selection of text called PDF-XChange Viewer in order to analyze a sample of the text for text properties. It allows one to select the text to be analyzed with the text selecting tool (Tools, Basic Tools, Select Tool), then you right click the selection, then click on "Text Properties..." and then choose "Formatting" in the left side pane.

PDF-XChange Viewer program says the font is Helvetica which seems to be accurate but, oddly, the program has determined that every other word of my selected text is alternatively 9 or 9.5 size font. Can anyone please explain that to me? To my eye, the text is uniform and not of different sizes. Why would PDF-XChange Viewer read alternate words as 2 different font sizes?

After making several necessary adjustments to the content of the document, I saved it as an RTF in Word but I have the latest version of Windows 10 on my laptop and the version of Word which came bundled with it does not offer any of the incremental font sizes available - only the integers: 8, 9, 10, 11 for example.

I then tried printing it in font size 9 and it seems to be too small and then in 10 and that seems to be a little too large so I think 9.5 must be right but I can't find a program that will allow me to save the document in Helvetica 9.5 font and print it out without re-formatting it.

1. Would anyone be able to recommend a program which does what PDF-XChange Viewer purports to do - in other words, to analyze font and font size in a given selection of text? I would like to verify its analysis by finding another program which gives me the same result.

2. Would anyone be able to recommend a word processing program which will allow me to choose Helvetica 9.5 for a font style and size and then print my document out WITHOUT re-formatting it.

Thank you in advance for any helpful guidance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi TimeToWakeUp, and welcome to TSG.

You do not mention the specific version number of MS-Word you are using. I am using MS-Word 2013 and it is possible to use fractional font sizes. I am able to select a block of text and right click on it. I then select Font from the pop-up menu. That opens the Font properties dialog box. It does show a scrollable list of standard fonts sizes, but it also allows me to enter any font size I want above the scrollable list. Have your tried that with your version?

Helvetica is not a standard font supplied with an version of MS-Windows or any version of MS-Office, as far as I know. I did my testing using the similar Arial font. I first checked the text size using the built-in 9 and 10 point settings. I then entered 9.5 in the size box and the text changed to a size between the first two.

EDIT: I am not at all familiar with PDF-XChange Viewer, but I have a wild guess as to why it may vary between two font sizes for your document. The software may work in 1/2 point increments when determining a font size and the font size in the source document may be between 9 and 9.5 points.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. TimeToWakeUp

Thank you so much Chuck for your response and for the welcome.

I don't know how to determine the version of Word I am running but I bought this laptop well after 2013. When I highlight and right click text in my version, no font properties dialog box opens and there is nowhere around or above the drop down list where one could enter a fractional font. Might you be able to recommend where I could get a free version of Word 2013?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am using Word 2016 at home and it works about the same way as 2013 as far as font sizes go. Right clicking on selected text does NOT open a font settings dialog box. It does open a pop-up menu. One of the clickable choices in the pop-up menu is "Font..." and that does open a dialog box that allows you to make font related changes, including manually entering a size.

Here is a link with information on determining the version number of more recent versions of MS-Word and it has a link for a page for determining the version number of older versions of MS-Word:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-i-using-932788b8-a3ce-44bf-bb09-e334518b8b19

5. TimeToWakeUp

Hello again Chuck. I just wanted to post an update to let you know what happened since this post.

It turns out that I had confused Word with WordPad as naïve as I know that sounds. I thought they were the same. Contrary to what I had believed, I do NOT have Word installed on my machine, only WordPad which does not support either Helvetica or fractional fonts. So I had not saved what I wanted to print as an RTF in Word but rather in WordPad. That explains why I was never able to see that pop-up menu to which you referred. I since managed though to find someone who was able to accomplish for me what I was trying to achieve by replicating that original document for me.

And regarding your edit, yes, I think your 'wild guess' hit the nail on the head. I had arrived at the same theory. In fact, it turned out that the source document I needed to replicate was drafted in 9.7 size font so perhaps the software does in fact just default to the nearest half point like 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, etc. and cannot discern increments between those readings. Of course it should have determined that every other word of my selected text was alternatively 9.5 or 10 size font (as it turned out to be 9.7) but that was not the case and added to the confusion.

Again my deepest gratitude for your sharing your knowledge with me and helping me to ultimately arrive at a solution for the problem which was the impetus for the original post.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear you were able to figure out exactly what word processor program you were using and finding someone who could recreate the document for you.

FYI, as far as I can tell, Microsoft never supplied a true Helvetica font with Windows or any of it's free or commercial programs. Back in the 90s, Microsoft licensed fonts from a company called Monotype. Helvetica is owned and licen$ed by Linotype. There are Helvetica-like fonts that are available for free or a low cost.

You had asked where you could find a free copy of MS-Word. As far as I know, Microsoft does not offer any free versions of the software. Anything free that you find would probably be a cracked, pirated copy that might contain viruses and other nasty malware. You may be able to get a good deal on an MS-Office bundle that includes MS-Word from a legitimate Microsoft software reseller. MS-Office through version 2016 has a one-time purchase license, while MS-Office 365 is priced as an annual subscription.

7. TimeToWakeUp

Thank you for the additional enlightenment. When you mentioned that Microsoft never supplied a true Helvetica font with Windows or any of its free or commercial programs and instead licensed fonts from a company called Monotype, do I understand then that these are the Helvetica-like fonts you refer to that are available for free or a low cost? I ask because, as I have more closely examined the text of the replica document, I see some very slight variations from the source which are hard to detect but there nonetheless. By any chance would you know of any analysis tool which can identify Monotype versus Linotype?

I ask because now I am wondering if the job I paid for is not actually what I thought I was getting. I was assured it was done in Helvetica but I now suspect based on your new information that it may be a knock off.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice