1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Save as delay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shadow2531, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow2531

Shadow2531 Thread Starter

Need help narrowing down a problem. win2k sp3 all necessary updates

Whenever I use any program and do a file- save as, there is about a 30 second delay.

The first time this happend was when I copied some text from a form into notepad and notepad tried to connect to the net (Sysgate Personal firewal 5.0), which was weird because I have copied text into notepad from web pages a million times before and notepad never required access before. Now with microsoft word I could understand, but not notepad. I scanned my whole system using avg virus scandwith newest upate. I checked my system with ad=aware, newest database. I stopped every service that was stoppable. I also tried repair IE just in case it was an ie thing. I tried disable services. Nothing is helping.

Now here is some more info. If I restart the computer, everything will work fine until I connect to the net. However since I have dialup I decided to check something. Since I knew notepad was trying to connect to the internet, I set my internet options to always dial a connection. I think opened notepad and tried to file>save as, and it tried to dialup a connection. Also notepad isn't the only program that is doing this. Any program will cause this.

I checked my firewall and it reports that whenever I try to save as, the application that I am using tries to connect rtfm.mit.edu and ip address 18.181.0.29 . Of course I cannot find any thing relating to that in the registry. I also deleted my temp files, and checked my downloaded program files to make sure there was nothing funky in there.

Just not sure what's going on but whenever the program trys to connect to mit, it does it through services and control app, which I now have blocked until I figure out what is goin on.

these programs only try to access the net, when I file; save as. Even IE does it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531 Thread Starter

I got it. I found an ftp shortcut to mit on my desktop. I had a bunch of icons on my desktop because I was working on something and didn't see it.

I also didn't look for it there on the desktop because I have never visited that site before and therefore never created a shortcut to place it on the desktop, but it was there. How? not sure.

Then as to why that would affect all my programs, I don't know either.

Very weird, but it's fixed now.

Might as well dub this one solved and maybe this will help somebody else.

I can't believe it was right there on my desktop; right in front of me.

Thanks anyways, but if anyone has more info on this, that would be cool. :confused:

edit

oh crap now I know why it tried to connect when I would open programs and try to save as. All my programs are set to the desktop as default when I open or save. Therefore, explorer would open the ftp site everytime I tried to save a file.

geez bad day:rolleyes:

3. Shairel

Shairel

When you open a common dialogues box, sometimes windows will try to account for every shortcut in the directory that you open... :Shrugs: one time the floppy disk on my system would grind repeatedly, i found a shortcut to a floppy drive buried in the start menu...some URL shortcuts even have their icons coming from the web site...just go to /. and save a URL..the resulting 'shortcut' will have a /. icon on it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice